Thread: New to school...nursing degree?

New to school...nursing degree?

****o, I have a few questions im hoping somebody can help me with...Im 19 years old and have been out of school since 2004. I didnt graduate per se as i recieved my GED due to health reasons... I had an autoimmune disease since i was 10, kidneys failed, had a transplant, transplant failed, now im hoping for another, live donor or cadavaric...anyway, what im asking is, are there limitation as to what i can do in nursing because i will be immune comprimized? second, what pre reqs do i need to get started in nursing? i want to get my masters when all is said and done so that i can be a transplant co-ordinator/transplant nurse practitioner. Any advice on nursing in general, how to pay for it, what to do in general, please feel free to share! Thanks for you help!

Re: New to school...nursing degree?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMac4401
    ****o, I have a few questions im hoping somebody can help me with...Im 19 years old and have been out of school since 2004. I didnt graduate per se as i recieved my GED due to health reasons... I had an autoimmune disease since i was 10, kidneys failed, had a transplant, transplant failed, now im hoping for another, live donor or cadavaric...anyway, what im asking is, are there limitation as to what i can do in nursing because i will be immune comprimized? second, what pre reqs do i need to get started in nursing? i want to get my masters when all is said and done so that i can be a transplant co-ordinator/transplant nurse practitioner. Any advice on nursing in general, how to pay for it, what to do in general, please feel free to share! Thanks for you help!
    Hi Joe,
    Wow, I never thougth I'd say this but I'm in the same boat as you! I'm currently a junior in a university majoring in accounting but I decided to become a nurse last semester. I am 22 right now and I received a cadaveric kidney transplant 3 yrs ago. I actually wanted to become a nurse a long time ago but hesistated because I thought it'd be embarassing to be a male nurse. However, I did a lot of thinking lately and I thought to myself that I would be much more of a happy person if I do something I love. I love helping people and all the years I've spent in the hospitals gave me a good perspective on the nursing career. So, a few weeks ago I had a doctor appointment and I pop up the question. My nephrologist said that it'd be wonderful if I become a nurse. I also talked to my nurse transplant coordinator and she said I should not be worry about my medical condition and it would not hinder my nursing career. She also said you never have to disclose your medical condition to anyone. I also know a nurse at a dialysis clinic who had a kidney transplant. Anyway, I think you should go for it if you have genuine love to help other people. As for school, you can go to a community college to get your Associate degree in nursing for 2 years or you can go to a university to get a Bachelor in nursing and that would take 4 years. To get a master you would need a Bachelor. Before enrolling in a nursing program, you are required to take the prequisites: Anatomy, Chemistry, Psychology, Human Development, Nutrition, etc... I will start taking the nursing prereq this wednesday when my university starts. To become a transplant coordinator, which is what I also wanted to become, doesn't require a master i think; as my transplant coordinator only have a BSN. As for paying for school, there are scholarships for students with kidneys problem. Ask your social worker about the National Kidney Foundation scholarship; they will help you pay for school. I also recommend you to apply for federal grant from http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ website. How much you receive depends on your parents' income. Good luck! I hope you will get your new kidney soon! If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at hienstran@hotmail.com.

- Vincent

Thanks for replying! See, this is already helping, as I had no idea that the nkf had scholarships. Its funny that your an accounting major, thats what my big just graduated with and shes loves it...although she was a math freak, and i am, shall we say NOT! Its good to hear that there are other yuoung guys out there that are living well with transplants, and have been inspired to get into the feild. I really could never be a doctor, especially after the ones i had. Super dudes, just never had the time to talk for any length of time. But my NP, she awesome, when i was having difficulties she would spend hours with me talking about my options. When my transplant doctors told me that i lost my kidney due to non-com pliance, she was the only one who believed i did ev erything in mypower to save my kidney...she even told me doctor he was flat out wrong to his face! That the example i want to follow, smart, compassionate, an ale to voice your opions without bowing to doctors. it would be great to hear more about your experiances with school. Joemac4401@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMac4401
    Thanks for replying! See, this is already helping, as I had no idea that the nkf had scholarships. Its funny that your an accounting major, thats what my big just graduated with and shes loves it...although she was a math freak, and i am, shall we say NOT! Its good to hear that there are other yuoung guys out there that are living well with transplants, and have been inspired to get into the feild. I really could never be a doctor, especially after the ones i had. Super dudes, just never had the time to talk for any length of time. But my NP, she awesome, when i was having difficulties she would spend hours with me talking about my options. When my transplant doctors told me that i lost my kidney due to non-com pliance, she was the only one who believed i did ev erything in mypower to save my kidney...she even told me doctor he was flat out wrong to his face! That the example i want to follow, smart, compassionate, an ale to voice your opions without bowing to doctors. it would be great to hear more about your experiances with school. Joemac4401@yahoo.com
    You're very welcome Joe. Nursing school is very rigorous so perhaps it's better for you to take the prereqs at a community college since their schedule is very flexible. It's much cheaper too. After you take all the prereq u can then transfer all those classes to the university. Hit me on MSN instant messenger if you have an account. My account is ofcourse hienstran@hotmail.com .