Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rude Doctors

Re: Rude Doctors

Docs are different in the surgical suite than they are on the floor. I have worked with every surgeon who has hospital priveledges for the last 4 years. Now that I am a student doing clinical rotations at my same hospital, I see the same docs but in a different setting. But, they see me as ME, and can be in the middle of grilling a resident but stop to tell me good morning and give me a smile and a hug. I think it all depends on the setting you are in when you meet them, and it is all about respect. Show them you listen and learn and REMEMBER what they explain to you and that works wonders. Don't be intimidated by them and let them know you are confident in yourself and your job.

Maddie,
    I have found that i don't aproach the individual when I[m still angry..but after i have a cooling off time. Then I can be objective and state my case.
    this has worked well for me for many years now and I try very hard not to fly off the handle...then I look as bad as they do!

I have actually picked up my charts and said, "If your not going to play nice well i am out of here." And I just walk off.

Ive been a nurse for 11 yrs and a CNA before that so have seen almost everything. As a new nurse i had a doc call my station and procede to yell and rant, I told him bluntly that I dont need to be treated like this and i didnt cause the prob and when you can speak nicely to me you can call back and hung up on him, he called back and apologized. I have had a doc we called doc satan call nurses out of a patients room to come to the desk and find something in a chart he was looking at, I have proceded to go back to my patient. There are many more instances, and a lot of times the managers or supervisors stand up for the doc and not the nurse,,,

Well, when they act like that towards me, I just snap back at them. They can't do a thing about it because they brought it on themselves. I don't believe in taking that crap from them. They do nothing but give orders all day long and never really ever touch the patient. All they do is write orders while we're the ones that actually nurse the patient back to health. These patients would not make it without God's blessing and God's use of us there to take care of them. Doctors need to stop being so arrogant, start listening to us and the patient, and stop being paid so much to do nothing.

rudeness is widespread!
    rudeness is more common than good manners and civility... and the effects that result from it generally perpetuate and grow it!

much (not all!) of what occurs among people involves ego and selfishness. when individuals are focused on personal and individual pursuits, they are selfserving and lesser sensitive and responsive to others. ego is at work and folks are divided.

rudeness is a method folks employ to get what they want.

there are some great teachings (thousands of years old!)that well define efficient and effective methods that modify the effects of ego-driven behavior.

read Tao de Ching?

When I worked at the University of Florida, we had two types of doctors: rude prima donnas who thought of everyone else as their underling, and the second group were caring, sensitive individuals who were nice to everyone. This is all over the world, as I just spent last night at the University of Mississippi Medical School hospital visiting a friend whose child had his right arm ripped off in a freak accident. I met the most incredibly rude doctor. I had been directed via the information center to one section of the hospital, only to discover when I got there that our friend's child had been moved. I then went to the next dept., etc. I stopped a doctor (what was I thinking!) to ask him for directions because I seemed to be going around in circles. He was so rude to me and actually yelled at a CNA for trying to help me. I finally ran into a Dr. Phillips, an anesthesiologist, who offered to find the patient for me. He called around for about 5 minutes, found the child, gave me explicit directions how to get there, and even let me rest in his office. I'm just beginning my pre-reqs. for nursing school and he is the kind of doctor I hope I deal with more than the first doctor I met. But my husband, who is a doctor in a different hospital, says that most doctors are like the first one.

I work in a pediatric ER and a teaching hospital 75% of the doctors that come thru are only there by demand not choice. They have to do their rotation thru the ER and will never work with kids in their specialty. Because of this they depend highly on the nurses for help (cause they are scared to death of kids), thus they are very helpful. I had a few act like know it alls and regretted it, especially when the attending tells the nurse in front of the resident to take care of the patient, and not let the residents hurt them

Now I did work agency once and a doctor called and was real mean. He was a big butthead. So I hung up on him. He called me back and threatened me that he would be there in 5 minutes to rake care of me. I hung up again. He never did show up. The charge nurse came flying by and told me "never hang up on a doctor" I laughed and said I would do it again if he didn't treat me with professional courtesy. I don't play this the doctor is God attitude.

Good for you Kidrn911. As nurses, we do not have to take rude, obnoxious behavior. If as nurses we do not demand professional courtesy, some doctors will walk all over us.

Maddie;
    Hi, how are you? Document, document and document more. Then notify your supervisor. Document that too. Everything: date, time, "Quotes." everything. This can easily be considered a hostile work environment. Violation of employment law. If it is not addressed, don't get mad, stay cool and don't talk. You have a nice lawsuit! I just went through this. We have a physician that openly called my nurses incompetent. Condecending, intimidating, constant putdowns, and always questioning with the goal to humiliate. She ended up the one with her tail tucked between her legs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast