Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rude Doctors

Re: Rude Doctors

Maddie;
    Hi, how are you? Document, document and document more. Then notify your supervisor. Document that too. Everything: date, time, "Quotes." everything. This can easily be considered a hostile work environment. Violation of employment law. If it is not addressed, don't get mad, stay cool and don't talk. You have a nice lawsuit! I just went through this. We have a physician that openly called my nurses incompetent. Condecending, intimidating, constant putdowns, and always questioning with the goal to humiliate. She ended up the one with her tail tucked between her legs Cannon

I once worked for a big group of doctors there were 10 in the practice....Only one had the "God syndrome" one day he began yelling at me telling me what a disgrace to the healthcare field I was. Now mind you I was fresh out of school and just passed boards... I told him what an arrogant SOB he was and that without me he wouldn't know his butt from a whole in the wall .... and as I yelled at him I steadily was walking him into a corner.. Well from that day on I was his sole nurse and he even said he respected me for standing up to him... I won't take crap from anyone...I don't do in my private life and I sure as heck won't take it at work...Our jobs are demanding enough

If you want your job and your paycheck, put up with it, especially if you have kids
    Document whatever orders he may give you. Report this
    to your manager. If this is a persistent problem among
    other nurses your charge or manager should be addressing this issue.

I agree, if the situation is consistently documented, eventually someone will get fed up and the prior documentation will make a major difference in making a case.

June 6, 1999: Emergency Department Nurse Verbally Abused, Physician History Well Documented
    Official tolerance for verbal abuse and sexual harassment is approaching zero. It is clear that both are still prevalent in healthcare settings today. Enforcing and reporting instances of abuse are critical to an end being put to the situation. In this case, a physician had a "history" of verbal abuse in the facility involved. It was the documentation of previous events that made formal action and administration of a suspension feasible.
    Gordon v. Lewiston Hospital, 714 A.2d 539 – PA (1998)
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/nursing...ses/060699.htm

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursingcasestudy.com

1999?????????????????

WR,,, three commas for Becca

It is so about RESPECT,never let anyone treat you less than human,,,when you demand respect from Doctors, Patients,and co-workers,believe me you will get it.As mild mannered as I am,there is nothing that gets me going more than a person, no matter who they are, disrespecting another..Do Not Allow It...Face it and deal with right then and there and Document, Document, Document.

I like what another nurse posted somewhere.

A doctor was throwing a temper tantrum at the nurse's station. The nurse told him to stop it or she was going to call his mother..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

[ QUOTE ]
    takmilele said:
    It is so about RESPECT,never let anyone treat you less than human,,,when you demand respect from Doctors, Patients,and co-workers,believe me you will get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I've hung up on/walked away from my share of doctors who were being rude/obnoxious.

An effective tactic is to lure them into the nurses station and then loudly ask "who the hell do you think you're talking to like that."

It embarrasses the hell out of them and brings the issue to everyone's attention. Repeated complaints to administration on verbal abuse do eventually get acted on.

One despicable tactic I especially despise is when a doctor will follow you into a med room, patients room, etc to corner you.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Welcome to the boards Eight 8's Hope you visit often. Don't forget to check out the Critical Care forum.

O_S

The medics response
    With over 17 years of experience in emergency situations I am used to everyone being snappy. I'll give you once maybe even twice considering the situation. Once bitten twice shy then they see a side that blows their mind. My coworkers describe me as easy going mild mannered until I get on an Oh S&*#* scene. I still don't scream or throw things I am just very direct and have never had any complaints against me except by doctors that I have told to bug off. Last year we had a doctor throw a bag of NS at me. I picked it up and threw it back and hit him in the head. Probably not the professional response but it felt good. I have said for years that being a doctor does not take intelligence just persistancy. I have a few doctors that I have a great respect for but many that will ask me for dosages on CCU transports. I think many nurses and paramedics are often more intelligent we just didn't have the money or the time for school. Lastly my best response is to not do anything without calling the doctor. When he says why are you calling me for an IV. I say I am just a lowly paramedic needing orders from the great one. That usually only takes about a shift to change their view of you.
    Medivac

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast