Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rude Doctors

Rude Doctors

Would love to know how some of you handle rude doctors, the ones that think every question is stupid; the ones that use every available opportunity to publicly humiliate. Last week, I had had enough and yelled right back, and the way my co-workers looked at me, I was half expecting to be sacked. It didn't happen, but I wonder if I potentially face valid administrative recrimination for speaking up for myself. Feedback greatly appreciated! <font color="purple"> </font>

Re: Rude Doctors

Well, we have a whole forum for it here, if that tells you anything. Although, it is empty ???.

Anyway, I'm a new nurse, and male, so I'm A) probably naive, and B) probably get treated somewhat differently, but my outlook is this:

Treat me with respect. I am NOT under you. I work FOR this hospital. You do not. I DO NOT DO FOR you. Treat me with respect, and I'll treat you accordingly. If you do not, I'll tell you about it right then, and you'll look stupid. You might hate me, but I don't care. I'm not here to cater to you, I'm here to do my job, as are you. That involves us working together and cooperating pretty closely. If you can't treat me with decency, that will not work. I'm the one who should be PISSED at YOU because I spend half my time DECIPHERING your handwriting, trying to figure out what you are wanting for this patient, when it would make it easier on both of us, if you'd just print it plainly. Heck, the othe half of my time is spent covering my butt because of all the mistakes that happen as a result of your crappy handwriting, and the fact that you get pissed off when you have to get called to clarify. Heck, doctor, I'm mad at you because med errors happen because of your handwriting. I'm just all around pissed off about your handwriting.

You can see where I'm going with this. RANT, yes. I'm very adamant about doctor's handwriting. ONLY BECAUSE it is arrogance. If THEY REALLY cared that much, they'd make it 100% easier on THE NURSES THEY WORK WITH and save HOURS UPON HOURS of work for those nurses AND the hospitals paying them (which means they could save money in man (or woman) hours, and simply write where we can read it.

I mean, is that too much to ask? All I want is to be able to read the name of the drug you are telling me to give a patient. I JUST want to be able to read the amount of the drug, the route, etc., for my patient.

I MEAN, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? I just want to be able to read your handwriting, WITHOUT having to "get to know you" and WITHOUT having to "learn your style", and WITHOUT having to "confer with 10 other nurses", and WITHOUT having to "call you" to confirm it.

Is that too much to ask? If not, I'd also like to be able to read ALL of the orders you write PERTAINING TO THE HEALTH/CARE/SAFETY/WELLNESS/PROGRESS of your patient.

Hey DOC, let me know when you can do that, and then we'll talk about getting along.

That's my take. Yeah, it's kind of psycho...

But if you think about it, I HAVE A POINT. Why must we go out of our way, AND endanger patients because they can't take the time to write legibly? Heck, our WHOLE JOB is patient safety, and yet, they can't do one simple thing to contribute?

So, yeah, don't be rude to me, don't boss me around, don't treat me like your underling, or anything else, BECAUSE I WON'T PUT UP WITH IT.

And if ALL nurses took this standpoint, THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE. Unfortunately, it probably always will be...

(hows that for a rant, and NO, I'm not crazy)

I totally agree with you Shortbus! Yeah!

Doctors rude, who would ever think that would happen. HA. I have been a nurse for 20+ years and have run across plenty of rude doctors. In my experience with these doctors, I have found that sometimes they don't even realize how they come across and sometimes they do. Usually, If I think they are being rude, I tell them. Don't let it get to the boiling point before you speak up. Take the doctor to a private area and tell him/her how you feel. If the rudeness borders on verbal abuse, this needs to be taken up with administration following the p and p of the agency you are working for. No one has to work under those conditions. Generally, I feel the same as Shortbus, I will treat you with respect, but I expect the same in return. If I don't get the respect I feel I deserve, I am going to speak up for myself and let you know. Recently, In the ER where I work, I had an incidence with a physician that no one likes to work with because of his attitude. He became angry because his x-rays weren't done as quickly as he felt they should have been, and threw a flashlight toward me, I really don't think it was at me, just in my direction and said, If someone knew what they were doing, my x-rays would already be here to view. My reply to him was, If you would have allowed us to order them in triage, as we are trained to do, instead of making us wait for you to see the patient 2 hours later, they would have been done, and by the way, your professionalism was showing when you threw that flashlight. I have not had any problems with him since then, and I now order what is appropriate in triage. Just hang in there.
    Terry

I too have been in the industry for 20+ years, and when I run across a rude doctor, as happens waaaay too often. I say, " pardon me, but are you being intentionally rude?" That usually brings them up short and makes them think. The ones this doesn't work with, well let's just say they aren't worth the sweat off my brow and don't worry me.

We seem to have had an epidemic of rude doctors recently. One thing we have done recently that seems to be helping, is to back each other up. When a doctor goes off the deep end, we just stand behind the nurse being "verbally attacked" If we can offer evidence that he is wrong, or just being an idiot, we do. If not, we stand there together for moral support. They dont seem to say or do as much when all of us are looking at them like they are acting like an idiot.

One time one of our doctors was doing a circumcision and going off on one of the nurses. One of our "veteran" nurses walked in. She looked at the nurse and told her "He's going to need more suture" he looked puzzled and just said "I dont think so". She replied "Oh yes you will, to repair my ass after you take your foot out, since you have been trying to kick it all day" He was an angel the rest of the day. =)

[ QUOTE ]
    We seem to have had an epidemic of rude doctors recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just in the last....
    three or four decades or so

I printed some of your responses and posted them in our nurses'lounge. I thought your answers were RIGHT ON and well worth sharing. Thank you all for the support!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with defnding yourself when somebody is rude to you, be it a doctor or any other colleague. Working in a Level I trauma center/teaching hospital, I have had my share of dealings with arrogant residents and rude doctors, and I never hesitate to put them back in their place. We as nurses shouldn't have to be responsible for correcting the actions of rude physicians, however, we shouldn't have to accept undignified treatment from them either! I am sure that you would all agree that we worked very hard to get where we are, and deserve respect.

&lt;---- this is what I think about rude doctors... PUCKER UP DOC!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast