Thread: Nursing or Chiropractic

Question Nursing or Chiropractic

I have always had an instrest in the medical field and I was recently let go from my last job and I have decided to get into the medical field. I find both Chiropractic and Nursing both instresting. I was going to go into nursing but then went with Chiropractic. I am supposed to start at the chiropractic college in January but am not rethinking it. Would like some options from the group.

Cool Re: Nursing or Chiropractic

I would think that you would have a better chance at successful employment with a career in nursing.

Re: Nursing or Chiropractic

I agree I would have to work harder at making money as a Chiropractor, as a nurse I could make good money anywhere. I also like the fact that if I went into nursing I could more then likely get someone else to front the cost of the education (I work for a hospital that offers tution payments, and nursing scholarships.) Chiropractic would cost me about 150,000 in student loans. If I went into nursing I would want to be a ARNP which would allow a wide scope of practice, and would make great money. I guess I will have to way the pro's and cons from each.

Ricu

Interesting position.

My first thought is not which way to go but which philosophy is more aligned with my own. Both fields offer excellent career potential and deal with health maintenance but are in certain ways more different than similar. The "bedside nurse" practice is allopathic in philosophy. Disease is the enemy that must be fought by drugs, surgery and/or both with little attention paid to the causative agent(s).

The philosophy of chiropractic is not allopathic but more osteo or homeopathic. Disease is a symptom and treatment is focused on restoring the body's natural rhythms through manipulations, positive lifestyle practices, nutrition and lastly, medication. The approach is holistic and directed not toward a single system but the whole being. In essence, the body is supported while it heals itself.

A point to make here when considering a new career is how best do you work. The bedside nurse functions more as a soldier, not commander. Do you want to work in a group or team setting or be your own boss? You already know that as a chiropractor, you would be in private practice. If you want to become a nurse but function as a PCP, pursue the APN certification. If you have an interest in alternative medicine and want to incorporate it into your practice, it would require further study but would yield greater potential. I like alternative medicine and see the two philosophies as complementary so my personal belief is that taking this route would prepare you for a very state of the art practice.

Career opportunities and earning potential for nurses is good. Jobs are not as plentiful right now but more than in a lot of other fields. In APN and chiropractic, job opportunities are on the rise and earnings are excellent.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

R

I have decided to go with Nursing and add Nurse Practitioner onto that in a few years. I do like the holistic philosophy of Chiropractic, but I could always take extra classes to add those benefits to my Nursing Practice.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by dave81 View Post
    I have decided to go with Nursing and add Nurse Practitioner onto that in a few years. I do like the holistic philosophy of Chiropractic, but I could always take extra classes to add those benefits to my Nursing Practice.
    Sounds like a good plan, Dave. Good luck and keep us posted.

R

Dave81 you almost gave me a heart attack or MI if you prefer

I have spent the last 8 years trying to get out of chiropractic and into nursing. I am sooooooooooooooo (and you will be too) glad you chose nursing and not chiro. The only draw to chiro on a practical sense is direct billing and fast track to "Dr." title. So what...anything and everything you need or want to do FOR a patient (not TO a patient) can be done as an MSN-NP. Stay in Nursing.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by chiromed0 View Post
    Dave81 you almost gave me a heart attack or MI if you prefer

I have spent the last 8 years trying to get out of chiropractic and into nursing. I am sooooooooooooooo (and you will be too) glad you chose nursing and not chiro. The only draw to chiro on a practical sense is direct billing and fast track to "Dr." title. So what...anything and everything you need or want to do FOR a patient (not TO a patient) can be done as an MSN-NP. Stay in Nursing.
    Hey Chiro,

Welcome to nursing. You seem very disillusioned with chiropractic, as though there is very little within the specialty that you can offer to ailing people. What do you perceive in the specialty of nursing that makes it more appealing? Your choice of wording; doing "to" versus "for" a patient is an interesting observation as I see myself very often doing "to" patients because of what "standards of practice" mandate.

Is it your plan to become an APN? How do you see your practice changing?

R

Disillusioned. Very apropos.

To as opposed to for meaning the application of manual manipulation at the appropriate time is NOT synonomous with chiropractic. Chiropractic is art, psuedo science and idiotic philosophy of applying manual manipulation to EVERYTHING. The selling of the spine. It's usually for the gratification of the practitioners ego or pocketbook, not for the best interest of the patient but done to the patient in order to bill for it. So most (not all) chiro's justify the attempted application of manipulation for ulterior motives or ignorance.

The list is long for reasons against this field the least of which is redundancy in physical therapy. It's simply not a needed profession and suffers horrible attrition in practitioners as they graduate and become aware of the facts. Chiro's are well educated in basic sciences, good intentioned in the beginning but the burden of debt and insecurity lead to the pitfalls and deserved bad reputation that ensues.

Personally, yes APN and/or teaching. Practice? Well, the patient base will change from musculoskeletal to acute illness/other; "something-itis" from "exaggeritis" which most of my patient suffer from. I will probably not use my previous credentials for more than referrals and occasionally using manual manipulation.

Not trying to be a "basher" just telling it like it is. Nursing rules.

Red face Re: Nursing or Chiropractic

I once saw two chiro offices next door to each other. I wondered how they both could succeed. I could imagine a new patient parking in front, then standing on the sidewalk, scratching his head, wondering which one he had made the appointment with.