Thread: Any Advice?

Any Advice?

I'm going to start my first semester of teaching next week, and I am nervous to say the least. I haven't been practicing for too long so I feel a bit unqualified. Wish me luck and any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Any Advice?

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do just fine. Keep us posted on how things are going with it. Don't worry, there is a saying the goes something like, "Knowledge passed is knowledge gained by someone who didn't know." Or something like that. So anything you can pass on from your experiences will be sure to help others listening.

Good Luck

Charles

Take it slow and stay calm, and urge the student to be calm. You will be fine. Oh, and do not make such a big thing out of a shiney nose on a student that they spend more time powdering their nose than they do concentrating on the lessons to be learned. Sorry I just had a flash baack to just one of our instructors years ago. LOL

jessnccu5801

Hey, sorry to impose but I was wondering.........

What exactly is the proper pathway to becoming a nurse educator?

The proper pathway would include of course, lots of studying on your part. At least at the BSN level... then MSN, PhD, etc... An education degree, and any other credentials that you may find would build your knowledge base.

Of course, your qualifications reflect your expertise, and requirements will vary as to whether you want to be a hospital educator or a Nursing instructor/professor.

This is the email to the nursing educators discussion list:

NRSINGED@UVVM.UVIC.CA

They send out some quality info on a daily basis.

Congratulations! Keep a firm, yet friendly grip on your class. Stick to the lesson plan even if simple things like handwashing seem too mundane to spend much time on... you have to be the one in charge - not them. Be firm about that, but be willing to slip in extra study sessions if they seem to be caught up ahead of schedule & be as helpful as you possibly can be. Go forth and educate us some terrific new nurses!

I agree with Sara,

Keep control of the class and follow the lesson plan. It's imperative that they receive the information that they need.
    When I taught, I tried to make use of the myriad of tools avaliable...videos, computer programs, etc. It makes the class more interesting and keeps their attention.

Best of luck!

If you want some ideas try the nursing instructor area of http://freenursetutor.com.