Thread: More about Nursing Jobs for Felons

More about Nursing Jobs for Felons

I am new here and not sure how all this will work. I was convicted of a felony 20+ years ago. After the schooling and the investigation by BON, I was issued a license with no restrictions, and expanded role. As my family would be considered lower income, it was a burden for my wife to help me through school. I am an ex- EMT, have military experience, however I like some of those I have read about cannot get a job. It was related to me that a Federal Pardon signed by the President himself will not release you from disclosing you were a felon. By the same token neither will an Restoration of Rights. The only way to not have to make this disclosure is having your record expunged or sealed, both of which I understand are highly improbable. I am a capable practioner and reasonably cool under bad situations. I want to make a living, but if you are a nurse for the money you are in for the wrong reason. I would appreciate any direction or advice that I could receive. Thanks to anyone out there reading.

Red face Re: More about Nursing Jobs for Felons

Well, I am sorry about your predicament. I would guess the only thing you could do to improve matters would be to pursue the expungement route. The effort might prove to be worth it in the end. It seems a shame that something that happened more than 20 years ago is still being held against you. Encourage you to not give up and don't let your work problem sour your home life or the rest of your existence for that matter. There is more to life than having a job, even if you are starving under a bridge. Good luck.

Re: More about Nursing Jobs for Felons

In this recession , there are many nurses having employment woes, and sad to say, your felony would be a factor for hiring someone else.

I encourage you to keep trying, be honest and open about this and provide examples that show you have moved on. A felony would be a problem in any job and no just nursing... and there are nurses who have jobs with felons on their records.

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    Well, I am sorry about your predicament. I would guess the only thing you could do to improve matters would be to pursue the expungement route. The effort might prove to be worth it in the end. It seems a shame that something that happened more than 20 years ago is still being held against you. Encourage you to not give up and don't let your work problem sour your home life or the rest of your existence for that matter. There is more to life than having a job, even if you are starving under a bridge. Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply. It is a very lengthy process to try for expungement. Mine was a victimless crime, with no lock up time. It had nothing to do with drugs or human abuse of any sort. Do we not have a Nurses lobby out there somewhere. Home life is home life. We stick togather. I look at this as a detour not a roadblock. But if what I do for my situation helps any other Nurse then its win-win.
    Rick

Re: more info jobs for felons

hey there everyone, i'm looking for more recent info. i'm retired firefighter/paramedic, 14yrs, from boston. retired to north carolina and really screwed up. ny felony is aa assault but my passion is the medical field. is there anyone out there who can help with some advice. i would greatly appreciate it.

I made a huge mistake nearly three years ago, as a traveler, that is biting me in the rear. As with so many posts I have read, I did not recognize the fact that I was drowning until I was underwater. Meaning, I didn't realize my addiction had gone so far that I crossed a line I never imagined I would, and diverted meds. That lapse in judgement, as well as the addiction, resulted in a single felony count for drug possession. Now, as it's written, it states that I received a verbal order for Morphine 2mg IV, I didn't follow it up to make sure the physician signed if off in the computer (which is a combined responsibility), and failed to document that I wasted one milligram of that same dose. Here is the problem that comes into play.

It is my understanding, after much digging, that getting your license reinstated is the easy part. I did a voluntary surrender and have been eligible to apply for reinstatement for nearly a year. Great. Good luck getting a job. Depending on your felony conviction, it may place you on an exclusion list with the Office of the Inspector General. Most of the time, if you make that list, you'll be on it for 5 years which bars you from participating in any program that receives Medicare, Medicaid or other similar reimbursement. I am not sure how far that extends, if it simply applies to advanced practitioners who receive this directly, or if extends to nurses or practitioners who work at the bedside. In addition to any existing HR policies related to hiring felons, institutions who employ people who are currently in exclusion, run the risk of having all government reimbursement yanked, fines, sanctions... the list goes on.

These issues are just two of the reasons I have not pursued reinstatement. I also recognize the need to make sure my recovery program is successful, to expunge my record, and purge my life of the things that led to me compromising a 15-year career as a CVICU nurse. I hope that this information may clear up some of the questions as to why felons are rarely hired on. There may be other issues involved, but everything that I have researched points to the two things I have mentioned- HR policies and being on the OIG exclusion list.

where did my post go?????????
    Rick

Convictions

I know this is late, but I am new here. I have several felony convictions for 19yrs ago. I was not a nurse at the time nor were they violent or drug or alcohol related. When I decided to finally go to college I contacted my BON to see if the convictions would affect me obtaining my license. I was told it had been so long ago it wouldn't. Well, after graduating I spent 6mths trying to get BON to let me sit for my boards. When they decided to let me, my LPN license was put on 2yrs probation, I had to meet with a lady from BON every 3mths, my manager had to fill out a paper every three months telling of my progress and I had to pay a $1200.00 civil penalty to the BON. Now all that was on top of the 5yrs superivsed probation, which I had to pay monthly for, over $2000.00 in restitution to the state when convicted. When I decided after 10yrs to attempt my RN, I contacted the BON and asked if the convictions would afftect me sitting for my boards, obtaining my license and would there be anymore fees and was told I would not have any more restrictions. I have had my RN license for 1.5yrs. I think I have paid my debt to society. I still have doors shut to me re: jobs. I have had no trouble since 1991, I obtained my CNA in 1992, my LPn in 1998 and my RN in 2008. I have raised 3 wonderful children and 2 wonderful step children, whom I remind of the circumstances surrounding my convictions to prevent them from making the same mistakes. FYI you don't have to committ the crimes, all you have to do is be present with the knowledge of what's going on, to be convicted. I have a co-worker that told me even GOD forgives. In my state, you can't have felonies expunged and the one time I tried for a pardon the govenor of my state had to call in all his favors for himself and his cohorts to get them out of trouble with the law. Sorry this is so long, but it's a shame how one night can dictate the rest of your life.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    A point I make to young people every-day. What one does or says today especially in the era of posting all one's activities on Facebook and other social networking sites can effect one's whole life.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy