Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New title for male nurses?

Re: New title for male nurses?

If we can somehow rid society of the term "Male Nurse" then we could truly say that the term "Nurse" has become gender neutral. But until then I stand by my position that the word Nurse has definite feminine overtones. If it didn't then there would be no such term as Male Nurse. When was the last time you heard the term "Policewoman?" Not since the 70s for me. Now they are all known as police officers - a truly gender neutral term.

And of course the silly name "Nurse Mid-Wife" is completely inappropriate if people are ever going to take the idea of men in nursing seriously again. It really should be officially be changed to a title referring to the advanced practitioner status of the degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
    If we can somehow rid society of the term "Male Nurse" then we could truly say that the term "Nurse" has become gender neutral. But until then I stand by my position that the word Nurse has definite feminine overtones. If it didn't then there would be no such term as Male Nurse. When was the last time you heard the term "Policewoman?" Not since the 70s for me. Now they are all known as police officers - a truly gender neutral term.

And of course the silly name "Nurse Mid-Wife" is completely inappropriate if people are ever going to take the idea of men in nursing seriously again. It really should be officially be changed to a title referring to the advanced practitioner status of the degree.
    In the nursing profession there are female nurses & male nurses. I'm proud to be a male nurse.

Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5 View Post
    In the nursing profession there are female nurses & male nurses. I'm proud to be a male nurse.
    I am also proud of what I am, so proud that I feel like I finally found out what I wanted to be when I grew up.

But, in the civilian sector, among non-medical folks, females are nurses and males are male nurses. I want the term nurse to mean either a male or female person, which it does not - yet.

I see this gender bias as injurious to the nursing profession. I would like to work on eliminating this bias. There has not been enough work done to properly represent modern nurses for who we really are and the kind of work that we really do. If this were the case then we would see men entering the profession in higher numbers, pay rates would increase, retention would increase, overall satisfaction would increase, and the whole of nursing and patient care would exponentially increase.

In the civilian sector only about 1 out of 20 nurses are male and there is a serious shortage of nurses. These two facts are related. The poor representation of men in nursing is key to solving the shortage problem.

The face of nursing has changed. We need to rid society of the old Florence Nightingale idealistic myth and educate the world that we are highly educated and trained professionals.

Thumbs up Re: New title for male nurses?

The face of nursing has changed. We need to rid society of the old Florence Nightingale idealistic myth and educate the world that we are highly educated and trained professionals. - Cammer

Yep!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

"I see this gender bias as injurious to the nursing profession. I would like to work on eliminating this bias. There has not been enough work done to properly represent modern nurses for who we really are and the kind of work that we really do. If this were the case then we would see men entering the profession in higher numbers, pay rates would increase, retention would increase, overall satisfaction would increase, and the whole of nursing and patient care would exponentially increase. "

Personally I believe that the whole issue is a matter of ego and there is no room for ego in nursing! Hear me out please. When women started entering jobs traditionally held by men - they were subjected to years in some case decades of gender bias and when they tried to say something they were told "Get over it!"

Nursing has traditionally though not exclusively been a career for wom

I cannot find the words to express how ridiculous i think the title "murse" is. :rolleyes:
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DanRN View Post
    I am a Registered Nurse. There is no gender specificity in that title. I have always been very well received by my patients and the public. As someone stated earlier in another way, each nurse earns respect and recognition by the fostering of his or her own career by practicing this challenging profession with skill and empathy.
    I love that post. It cound have been written by either gender.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]

[quote=hppygr8ful;35779Personally I believe that the whole issue is a matter of ego and there is no room for ego in nursing! Hear me out please. When women started entering jobs traditionally held by men - they were subjected to years in some case decades of gender bias and when they tried to say something they were told "Get over it!"

Nursing has traditionally though not exclusively been a career for wom[/quote]

I agree with you completely. There is no room for ego in this profession. I have had to prove myself as a competent nurse to women who still think that the female gender is the only gender good enough to adequately care for people. And the years of gender bias... yes, there have been years of anti-male gender bias in nursing. I don't like it when women tell me to "Get over it" and deny that there is a bias in society against men in nursing.

Your last sentence looks like it was cut off, but if I read it correctly you are right. Since around 1900 nursing has been traditionally a female dominated profession. Prior to this it seems that nursing was not associated with either men or women specifically. It was not a role that held gender bias until the late 1800s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie_LPN View Post
    I cannot find the words to express how ridiculous i think the title "murse" is. :rolleyes:
    Personally I find the title "male nurse" just as ridiculous. But at least "murse" has some humor potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
    Personally I find the title "male nurse" just as ridiculous. But at least "murse" has some humor potential.
    So does the phrase 'male nurse.'

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast