Thread: How to ask for more money

Question How to ask for more money

New here and looking for a little advice. . .I'm currently finishing an extension on an assignment I took in January. I'd like to stay where I am for the summer and the hospital is desperate to keep me. My question is: in arranging a new contract how do you ask for more money, and how much more is reasonable? Do you ask for the money in your base rate, or in the per diem rate? I'm not very aggressive. Any advice would be awesome!!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: How to ask for more money

You could ask for an Extension Bonus for extending your assignment.

Wink Re: How to ask for more money

That comes in negotiating. First I would look out there and see what else is available. I have a free profile blaster service to all companies on my website that I use myself to find Psych assignments. That creates real leverage and a backup plan as well. Next get the blessing and favor of the hiring nurse manager but say you'd like to stay but need to work out some contract details with your company. Soon as the manager lets your recruiter know they want you to stay and you want to stay pending some contract details....thats when you have the most leverage. Your recruiter may try all sorts of rush tactics or make it look like they are doing you a favor. Actually they wouldn't have the expense of finding another traveler, setting up housing for them, getting them trained and acclimated to the unit. You staying there benefits the hospital and the company. You are a well oil machine on the unit now as opposed to a new traveler. That all makes since but it also depends on your sales ability in getting them to see this. Be creative along with the recruiter...maybe increase monies in the Travel Pay or Per diem or pay rate, a bonus (more taxes) or a free laptop etc. You may even need to back off for a bit. Don't cave in to scare tactics which may or may not be true like they have a Traveler that's ready to go so you better sign now or you'll lose this opportunity. The key is keep talking. Don't just go silent and shake your head no. This is all calm assertiveness but at some point you may need to say this is what I need while explaining how it is a win/win situation. Assertiveness is repecting the other person's position and yours. I amazed at how many professionals get that wrong. It can be a battle of wits and you could lose the assignment inspite of your valid arguements. That's why having other real assignments lined up and money in the bank makes you a little more fearless. Some recruiters will say their boss won't let them or their boss says this or that because they don't want you to think it's their decision. Intalking it out with the recruiter you may find a middle road or discover a possibility that both of you never thought of...maybe even a deal with the manager for a shift or day preference or just time off. That's why it's important to have a recruiter that you can talk with as an equal not as an "employee". I think you should get something for extending.
    Aim high, keep talking persuasively and don't give up. Use your gut to tell you when to call it quits but not out of fear but out of logic. I've hear one recruiter call this playing the "Travel Game" as if to call us "Game Players" . I call it being a shrewd business person which is just what Travel Company owners and recruiters need to be to survive in the highly competitive Temporary Staffing Industry. You want the best value out of your work and no less. Even the best paid Travelers who are shrewd are not "rich" .

CJ Travel NurseToolbox :luck: