Thread: Thinking about Air Force Nursing

Thinking about Air Force Nursing

I am considering joining the Air Force. Can I get some general information on what it's like to be a nurse in the military? Did you guys feel at least partially safe when you were on deployments?

Re: Thinking about Air Force Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
    I am considering joining the Air Force. Can I get some general information on what it's like to be a nurse in the military? Did you guys feel at least partially safe when you were on deployments?
    Not an AF nurse but definitely a military nurse that has deployed to Iraq... thus my username Soldiernurse.

If, you would like to ask more specific questions send 'em.

BTW, after awhile of continual rocket mortar attacks you become a little numb to fear & safety, etc.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I imagined that would be the case. Get your feet wet, and then it becomes second nature. Do you ever see NPs in your practice during deployment? What was your reasoning for not speaking to a health care recruiter until I graduated with my master's? How often have you been deployed? After what you have seen during your deployment, can you say you are happy with your job? Have any stories from your deployment that have really stuck with you? Did you ever practice in private industry, and if you did, what are the differences? Which is better and why? If you can answer any of these, I would greatly appreciate it.

Look, I'm just trying to help. If, you want to see a military healthcare recruiter before you complete your master's program go ahead. I've seen Soldiers get screwed over by recruiter's getting locked into something in a contract without consideration of pending degree completion. You want to enter the military with as much in your favor ad possible.

In my 14 yrs of military service (7yrs active duty & 1yr reserve enlisted Marine / 3yrs Army Reserve ANC officer & 3yrs Army Active Component Nurse Corps officer) only deployed once for 15 months; APR 07 to JUN 08. Provided healthcare to over 22K detainees at Camp Bucca, Iraq.

I've been in the healthcare field since 1995; 3 yrs civllian OR tech, 5yrs civilian RN (1.5 yrs Telemetry Floor, 1.5 yrs ICU, 2yrs OR RN). I carried OR RN designation in Army Reserves but they assigned, per my request, to ICU, and have
    been active duty ICU RN since 2006.

Speaking as a male RN, my preference is the Army Medical Dept over civilian RN. About 30% of Army RNs are male, whereas about 7% in civilian nursing. Nothing against female RNs (wife is civilian RN) but seems like treatment is better in the AMEDD for males. Plus, RNs in the military are treated more like equals by MDs compared to civilian sector. Also, in the AMEDD (cannot say about AF) we have great opportunities for educational advancement on the AMEDD's dime. Furthermore, promotional advancement opportunities are better in the AMEDD compared to civilian nursing. I can make these comparisons based on myself (civ RN 8yrs & wife civ RN for over 16 yrs).

Again, know very little about AF nursing (almost switched over but changed my mind) but if you have more questions send me an email to cary.barrett@us.army.mil

Thank you very much for the reply. I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet which was the reason for asking. Some people have told me I should. Others have said not to just yet. I don't graduate until August of 2011, so I am still debating whether to see one now or not. I know if I do and don't commit right away, I will probably get hounded constantly about it. At least, that's what happened the full year before my brother made the commitment to enlist in the Air Force. If I think of anything else, I will definitely email you. I appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
    Thank you very much for the reply. I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet which was the reason for asking. Some people have told me I should. Others have said not to just yet. I don't graduate until August of 2011, so I am still debating whether to see one now or not. I know if I do and don't commit right away, I will probably get hounded constantly about it. At least, that's what happened the full year before my brother made the commitment to enlist in the Air Force. If I think of anything else, I will definitely email you. I appreciate the information.
    BTW, appreciate your brother's military service.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN