Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond the 'Steps'

Beyond the \'Steps\'

I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts about life after the steps... or should I say WITH the 'Steps'?

Re: Beyond the \'Steps\'

Good evening, there is no life without the steps. At some point you will be living the steps without thought. Early in recovery we work the steps as a guide, when you get to a place in your recovery that it is instinct to do the right thing and you're not having to stop and think of what is right, then you are living the steps. I have been close and lost my direction. The result was "relapse" total and devastating. There was a point that I felt clean and (above) the disease. That was all it took. Complacency, as deadly to an alcoholic as a drink. I went from chairing meetings and speaking as a guest to hiding from those same people who I had been sharing with.
    At some point we (all people in recovery), must realize that we will always be addicts, and alcoholics. There is no shame in having a disease. As nurses we treat people every day that suffer from some type of disease. Diabetics need insulin, people with COPD need inhalers, hhn txs. And we that suffer from addiction and alcoholism need a recovery program. Instead of a pill, I need the big book and meetings and the companionship of others in the program.
    I am new at this "posting thing" and hope I don't overdue it. But I am a firm believer in helping myself, by helping others. So, I hope my answer gives some insight as to your question. Anyway, it's how I see it. jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting, and come back often. I'm with you 100%. The program has kept me sane and sober for nearly 4 years now, and I couldn't be happier than I am right now with my recovery. I too sometimes work the steps without thought.

Please bring other alcoholic nurses to the forum, if they are comfortable talking with us, and we'll get through this together.

I think you all are very courageous individuals, and if there is ever anything I can do to help, I am always available. Stay strong. I hope more will come join this forum, and use it to gain even more strength. My hats are off to you.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by TracyR View Post
    I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts about life after the steps... or should I say WITH the 'Steps'?
    Just a quick reply, with more to come when I have more time. I love what Jim said about the steps always being a part of our recovery, something we must live every day. As for myself, I am looking for that symptom of another problem...ME. I feel like I am in a MerryGoRound in AA. I am sorry to say this. It feels like heresy. I know that the steps are supposed to help with that symptom, but as a researcher of addiction in a doctoral program...I KNOW there are other ways of going about this process. But I am still looking for the right one for ME. And TraceR...you have to make the right one for YOU.

And Charles, thank you

SyckRN
    Last edited by SyckRN; 12-08-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Steph R. RN, MS

Hi,
    I think SyckRN said it best!!! of course....
    You have to apply recovery daily with every breath and step you take. There are many forms of "support groups" which one fits you, only you will know. I believe we follow what is in front of our face but when you look beyond your nose there are many healthy choices you can make. They KEY word is "choices" as addicts sometimes our choices are not always healthy ones. Seek advice as you are doing, if you are new in recovery do all the steps. then venture out find what makes your heart tick, your mouth smile, laugh and enjoy the sober and clean life..

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Got2b, can this site/forum be considered a support group of sorts?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Got2b, can this site/forum be considered a support group of sorts?
    Not sure," WFS" Women for Sobriety conducts there meeting online. WFS only has ONE meeting in Durham,NC. North Carolina Board of Nursing just adopted WFS, Rational Recovery and (I think) Smart Recovery as an accepted form of support group, although I am not sure how they (NCBON) will hold the nurse accountable for the online meeting. NCBON does NOT count the Nursing Support meeting in Charlotte, NC, which is soooo SAD. We have had the same facilitator for 14 years.
    I think, and there I go again thinking, when a nurse loses her license she needs not to isolate.
    I also believe these online blogs are GREAT, a nurse can talk freely.

What do you think, Cougarnurse??

I agree. That is the purpose of my blog. But I think that this thread is fabulous and I am glad to be a part of it and be supported by a tightknit group. Addicted health care professionals ARE different from the average addict. Most of us want to return to a career that may have contributed to our addictions.That's some tough stuff to deal with.
    Steph R. RN, MS

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    You all can talk as freely as you want! The only thing that holds you back is yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast