Thread: Help in choosing which school to attend?

Help in choosing which school to attend?

Hello to all! I recently decided to enter the field of nursing and after doing some checking around, I have found that there are two schools in my area (Olympic CC and Peninsula CC in WA) that offer nursing programs.

My question is, what is the best way to compare the two choices? The seem very similar on the surface, cost, distance, classes offered, etc. I don't personally know anyone in the field and my the few people that I have met went to U.W. and have no real knowledge of either of my options.

Would it be considered acceptable to just stop by my local hospital and make and appointment with someone to 'pick their brain' about this? if so, who would I talk to?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Re: Help in choosing which school to attend?

Olympia has the better instructors, and generally a better reputation in the state.

One thing I did when I was looking was ask the colleges about their passing rate on the NCLEX. Drop out rate, how long have the instructors been there? What are the class hours? Do they match what you are looking for? Talk to some of the current students if possible, or recent graduates. What are the requirements for admission? That may make a difference in your chances of being accepted to their programs. I was looking at 2 different schools, but one of them, I got more admission points than the other. How many are accepted? and how many apply?

I'd find out the Drop Rate if you could. Other than asking some of the current students how they feel, I don't think there's really much you CAN do. You'll never REALLY know if it's right until you get a ways into it and then you'll have to just stick it out. But don't worry, then years later you can tell everyone else how much harder you had it than they did

You definately want to find out each schools pass rate. When I made the decision to go back to school to get my RN (I was an LPN) - I checked 4 schools that were within driving distance to my home. The last question I asked was what is your pass rate on boards. they were ...ready for this......45%, 55%, 86%, and 100%. Bet you can't quess which one I went to

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I will be sure to ask about their pass rates and such! I really appreciate all of your help.