Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: to stay in nursing or not?

Re: to stay in nursing or not?

To pattym: Go for the RN. You might as well get an RN salary for what you've already been doing. When you get tired of direct patient care, your RN will allow you to go into other areas of nursing that are less stressful.

Jessica: In another year, the thought of inflicting pain with a needle will no longer be an issue. Remember why you chose to go into nursing in the first place, and stick with it. (oops! Freudian slip?)The rewarding parts, as few and far between as they may seem, will always outweigh the bad.

jessnccu5801

I have a few questions about our nursing program:
    What is the drop out rate?_______________%
    What percentage of our students pass the NCLEX?____________________%
    What percentage of our students get jobs after graduation?
    ______________%
    What is the median GPA? ________.___
    Would you recomend a internship or "Candystripping" or to working as a
    CNA
    during the program?____
    When will I be assigned an advisor?_______________,____, 200_
    What curriculum should I be following? ( The one I came in with, or the

curriculum of the year: that changes constantly!)_____________________
    What is the average completion time?______________
    Are there some students that I can talk to about the
    program?___________,___________,_________

"Do these look like adequate questions to be posed to my advisor? "

I have been a nurse for 22 years in many different areas but nursing has changed over the years.It used to be hands on compassionate bedside care, but it has turned into a stressful, frustrating, lack of time care. Hospitals are understaffing their nurses to try to save money in the health care world, but what they don't realize we are the foundation that supplies them their business. Until health care facilities realize this, there will always be a nurse shortage and frustration in this profession. The health care facility where I work at used to have 93% of the market share out of 3 hospitals in the our city, but with budget cuts, lack of staffing, no employee support, this has caused the decrease of quality care and thus the market share drop to 70% in the city.Until this changes, my desire to enter another field will always be there.So many nurses my age also feel this same way. I wish nursing would go back to the old ways! Don't know what else to do at my age. 43 and frustrated.

It appears to me that your are an excellent nurse and should not leave nursing. However, you should begin to search for a place where you will be happier. No need to hunt for perfection, it does not exist. Why not just look for something that suits you better than what you are doing now.

I am student at Drexel University and the first week of school I cried everyday, i mean every single day that week wondering what I got myself into. I began to second guess myself and thinking maybe nursing was not for me. It is very difficult but for all in just think of the impact you will have on people that you meet. Someone told me "if there is nothing else you could see yourself doing then you are right where you want to be." Yes I still feel stress and lost and want to quit but I am trying to roll with the punches.

Hang in there guys

The thought crosses my mind every day...what am I doing in this profession? But, for certain, there are endless avenues...from administration to education to the specialty of your choice. And if you get there and it's not what you think it is what you want, try something else. The only dead end in nursing is BURN OUT. If you're there, take a rest, forgive yourself, and make a new plan. Home care? LTC? Back to school? You are a good person, even when you feel self doubt.

Oh nursing, the job you learn to love or else the job you learn to hate. It depends on where you work, and what the environment is where you work. If you have a supportive staff that you work with, then you love it. If you have a staff of nurses who are supposed to be your co-workers, but choose to eat their young, then you quickly learn to despise your job. Unfortunately, there are various egos in this profession, preventing the nurses from bonding into a loyal group. Why do you think they can be pushed around by those administrators? They are to busy fighting among themselves. I have been in both situations, and it is much more enjoyable to work with a supportive staff. So you will have to decide what the environment of the place you work in is like. You may want to consider changing facilities.
    But hang in there and do not quite on a spur of the moment, give it lots of thought.

Here is my own little philosophy on IV's, drawing blood, giving shots, other invasive procedures, etc...

The patient is going to be getting the shot whether you give it or someone else does. If you do it then you can be assured that it was given with the utmost respect for the patient's feeling of pain and anxiety. You can also be sure of the fact that, because your first priority is patient comfort, you have studied the "art" of phlebotomy as well as you could in order to inflict the least amount of discomfort as well as to alleviate the suffering caused by the afflicted's illness. Anyone else might not have the same compassion and concern. Therefore you are the best person for the job. That is reason enough to put aside your personal feelings and unselfishly treat the patient as they deserve.

It has been many years since I started my first IV but I have not forgotten the terror associated with inserting that small steel shaft into someone's vein for the first time. It can be justified.

Just a couple of cents I had. I hope this helps.

Stay in nursing... Absolutely!

So rare is the opportunity for people to exercise/practice compassion on a daily basis within your chosen profession. Sure, there are literally thousands of other jobs/careers out there that are rewarding and that pay very well, but do they actually positively impact the lives of so many people as does the nursing profession? I think not.

And furthermore, the nursing profession offers so many career options, should you decide that your current role no longer fits you.

Hang in there!

I feel the same as you do. I was an LPN for 7 years. I got my RN 3 years ago. Hate to say it, the stress is worse as an RN.

Hugs to you and all nurses!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast