Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: to stay in nursing or not?

Re: to stay in nursing or not?

How many other professions are available where One preparation could lead to literally thousands of doors? I have been nursing for 15 years. Recently I switched over to a new unit for a "convenient" position. I did not feel burned out, however, the change in clinical focus and working with new faces and personalities has rejuvinated me! I have found a renewed passion which has inspired me to pursue certification and take on more responsibility. The possibilities in Nursing are endless. Never stop caring!

2 things...1)no matter how well prepared you are to graduate from nursing school, and no matter how well your professors attempted to tell you about what "real nursing" entails, hundreds graduate every year without a clue. And a lot of them don't make it in the work world. Nursing is marvelous but it is also mostly thankless and dirty with too much paperwork, and too little hands-on care. I graduated with my BSN 5 years ago and was scared to death, but jumped in with both feet.Days go by without questioning my choices, and then weeks go by when I constantly question my choices. Nursing is NOT glamorous. Nursing is NOT about finding a doctor for a spouse. And most certainly nursing is NOT financially rewarding when compared to the level of decision-making that many of us do on a minute-to-minute basis.
    Nursing is " caring". Nursing is " making the best with what you have to work with" Nursing is coming up with ways to make what seem to be mundane tasks more interesting and efficient. Nursing is teaching. But most of all Nursing is what we make it!!!! And I've decided that in spite of the powers that be, the negative attitudes, the lack of retention and the limitless government paperwork, that I can still be the kind of nurse I want to be. Granted, with less hands-on than I had intended, but enough that I can make my residents smile and make them feel as though the facility is their home. And most of all one "Thank You" from a patient or family member can make all the other bad things go away.
    The 2nd thing: " Nurses eat their young." Don't understand the concept at all but damnit, teach these new students and grad nurses, don't blow them off. I don't know about you, but I would rather impart my knowlege to them gently and know that somehow I have gotten through to them and that I would be pleased that they be the ones to care for me when the time comes. Think about it!!!

I was an LPN for seven years, and was put through the ringer by nursing. I thought things would be better as an RN. Well, I've been an RN for three years now, and things are even rougher. Much more responsibility.

The working conditions and pt loads are just overwhelming in today's nursing environment.

I'm looking for a way to cut my losses and leave nursing, too.

I think it would be ludicrous for anyone in the health care field to say that they haven't questioned their career choice one time or another. It's a career that taxes you mentally and physically.

I came to that conclusion six years ago when my son was found to have colo-rectal tumors. I was being forced to choose between staying home with my son or continue working my position at the hospital. It didn't take much thought as my son won precedence. The hospital he was staying at was also the hospital that I was employed with. They informed me that I should return to my position in order to keep my status. I apparently had exhausted all the time off that they were willing to allow.

I didn't know it at the time, but I was becoming burnt out on nursing anyway. It's mentally and physically stressing. To make matters worse, I am a single mother of five. Now that's stress!

The Peyton Place atmosphere at the facility was also another stressing factor. It's so easy to get caught up in others' lives when working so close together. It's utterly impossible to avoid, albeit an important factor to keep in mind. (hence the success of the show ER)

I did take that well deserved break and stayed home with my son.

My first anxiety attack and initial thoughts of panic stemmed from the financial aspect of my decision. I had been so overwhelmed at the thought of not being there for my son, that I hadn't thought that far ahead. I have never been one to take a position for the money. NEVER. (My philosophy is, and I learned this in nursing school, that if you're only there for the money, you shouldn't be there) There have been many times that I had no idea how much the position was paying until after I was hired and even then, it didn't matter. Now it mattered, or so I thought. It was a big adjustment for the entire family. Life wasn't without stress at this point either as there were forms to fill out for his disability. (and you want to talk about overwhelming, deal with Social Security!) I had to. It was our only source of income as I do not receive support for my children (dead beat dads, whole other topic). I contemplated other positions within the field, but the end result was, I didn't want to go back into nursing. Period. I didn't want the grueling schedule demands. I didn't want to be on an emotional rollercoaster, whereas, you enter one room and are overcome by someone's dx of a terminal illness, then walk down the hall a bit further and suddenly have to be elated for a patient that just found out they're going to be a father for the first time. I didn't want to have to think about taking care of anyone but my family and myself. It sounded selfish at the time, but believe me, in the long run it made me an even better nurse than before.

I finally found another way of making ends meet and supplementing our now fixed income. I began to paint. I did a lot of soul searching during the times when I went to my studio and created. It not only help me find my peace of mind, it helped to boost the family's income as I began to sell some of my work.

My time off allowed me to peel off the tarnished layers and waned enthusiasm that had developed over the course of my career. I came to the conclusion that I had to have peace within myself if I were ever going to work in the capacity of a health care professional again. It allowed me to seek out other ways of handling stress and bottom line, that's all I needed. Nursing is a career that doesn't always offer you that "pat on the back", sometimes you have to do that yourself. That's part of the profession. You have to step back and ask yourself, "Would you want someone taking care of you or your loved one, that didn't really want to be there?"

So take the time to pat yourself on the back and if nursing is in your heart, it's truly something that you are compelled to do, you'll go back.

I enjoy my career again with a newfound sense of rejuvenation and energy. It's reminescent of how I felt when I became a nurse almost twenty years ago, only now I bring my experience along with it. Hang in there all of you that are in nursing school! You made this decision for a reason and believe me, the rewards are tremendous. I made this decision because I knew nursing would always be in my life, I wasn't sure about my son.

Renee Brinkley, LPN

Geordan is now a happy and healthy, cancer-free child of six. The proceeds from the paintings that I sell from my gallery, now are donated to the American Cancer Society and other charitable organizations.

Geordan skipping rocks

One of my recent paintings...yes it's for sale!

(Email me to find out the interesting "facts" about this painting...it's all about recycling and making a difference)

What an amazing story. Thank you very much for sharing that with us. I think a lot of people will take this to heart.

Charles N. Chadwick II
    Director of Marketing
    Ultiamte Nurse Network

There are days I absolutely love my job; then there are the days I feel like running out the door screaming. I was an LPN for 23 years & went back for my RN (I've been an RN for 7 years now).

As far as stress goes, it can be worse at times but somehow I manage to distance myself from the worst of it & that helps.

If I had it to do over I probably wouldn't.

Hi. I am about to graduate with my BSN in Dec. I have always wanted to be a nurse. I was a small business owner for the last15 years. I hate being an employer with all those special headaches that go along with that.
    I think you could go back to school and get a BSN. The reason I think this is better is because you can do more than an LVN. You could work for an insurance company, or work in public health. That really can be fun. Being stuck at the hospital has to be frustrating all the time. In school, you will get exposed to many areas and you get a good feel for the opportunities. In California, the state will help you pay for school, and so do some hospitals.
    One more thought. If you are getting burned out at the big hospitals, maybe you would be happier at a small rural hospital. My training has brought me to both huge and timy hosp. and there is a big difference in the atmospheres. The rural hospital pays less, but the people are very friendly and it feel like family.
    email me if you want to chat at nurse_narda@msn.com

[ QUOTE ]
    The thought crosses my mind every day...what am I doing in this profession? But, for certain, there are endless avenues...from administration to education to the specialty of your choice. And if you get there and it's not what you think it is what you want, try something else. The only dead end in nursing is BURN OUT. If you're there, take a rest, forgive yourself, and make a new plan. Home care? LTC? Back to school? You are a good person, even when you feel self doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself !!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    I was an LPN for seven years, and was put through the ringer by nursing. I thought things would be better as an RN. Well, I've been an RN for three years now, and things are even rougher. Much more responsibility.

The working conditions and pt loads are just overwhelming in today's nursing environment.

I'm looking for a way to cut my losses and leave nursing, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you reconsider leaving the profession, Val Salva... responsibility is a part of living, growing and learning. You can find your niche without leaving the profession.

Being an RN DOES NOT reduce stress! The same problems exist. The only way to avoid the problems you mentioned is to by changing your place of employment or your speciality....same day surgery, doctors office, pain management are all options and I'm sure there are others. But RN vs LPN does not make the difference.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast