Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: to stay in nursing or not?

to stay in nursing or not?

Hi everyone! I am new to the site and need some advice or a pep talk.

Have any of you have ever wished you had never gone into nursing or wished you'd gotten out? I am trying to decide if I should stay in nursing or get out now before I'm too old.

I'm 42 and have been an LPN for 21 years. I worked the first 9 years, decided the stress was too much and the pay way too low and I quit to stay home and homeschool for 12 years but I have recently gone back into nursing (long term care at this time). All the same problems are still there- low pay, too many patients, disrepect from superiors, family members and patients. But mostly i hate the amount of work we have and the complexity of decisions we are forced to make about our patients care. I feel soooo incompetant most of the time, even though my DON says I am one of the best nurses she has ever worked with and my staff, CNAs, CMA etc say the same.

Is being an RN any better as far as stress goes? It seems to me it would be worse. I keep telling myself there are many less-stressful nursing jobs out there and having my RN will open more doors for me. Am I just fooling myself?

I have finished all my prereqs for an ADN program and can't seem to get motivated about finishing the program.

Am I the only person who loves nursing and hates it at the same time?

Too often I think, "if I could only do it all over I'd have done something else". I feel bad for saying it but, there, I've said it. I don't know what to do!!!!

Re: to stay in nursing or not?

I understand what you are saying, I have been an RN for 21 years now and sometimes I wonder what in the world was I thinking, but then I think back to all the good things that have come from my career as a nurse. True, sometimes it is frustrating and the work can be very demanding. Nursing is a great profession. We as nurses can make it better. We just have to learn to quit eating our young and take care of ourselves. It seems to be a lesson we haven't learned very well. Whether we are LPN's, RN's, BSNs, etc. we should take care of each other and try to get new nurses in the field and make working conditions better for all.

Terry, you are correct. The way we treat each other is part of my frustration.

It is comforting to know I'm not the only nurse who has questioned their career choice. I was starting to wonder if it meant I wasn't "cut out" for nursing. I guess I just need to focus on the positive.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I'm just about your age (43) and also have 21 yrs as an RN. I am also in LTC.
    Twice I have been burned out enough to take a prolonged absence.

The answer for me was going back part-time. I can do my best for my shift, and leave.

I have to make an effort not to get involved in the other staff members' complaints. I tell myself not to get involved.

I focus on what I love, pt care and pt/family interaction. I use humor and fun in employee relations. It's worked for this old timer.

Stay in nursing, go on for your RN. I have asked myself the same question. If I could do it all over again, I would not get into nursing, but I'm too old to start over, you've already got two feet in "Keep going"

jessnccu5801

I also wonder whether or not I should stay in Nursing but the problem is that I have yet to start!

I am a Junior Nursing Student at North Carolina Central University and I am waiting to be accepted into the upper division of our nursing department. When I came in as a Freshman (like many 18 yr olds ) I was not focused. Therefore, I find that I am 4 classes behind! The nursing department at our school only reviews applications in the spring and ALL requirements must be met.

Anyway, this is my problem: I do not want to give up on my dream because of the mistakes of my past!(But an education is very expensive!)I do not want to go through all 4 years and realize that this is not the career for me!I say this because I hear about Doctors and patients cursing the nurses out, nurse relations and other topics of discussion for myself and my colleagues. I must also be realistic: "Yes, I am a caring and compassionate person!"; should I choose to stay in the program I think that I will be one of the best of the best, but I have a fear that I might hurt someone. Meaning I do not like to see others in pain that I have inflicted. Be that I have given a needle, assessed pain level, etc...

My friends say that it would better suit me to pursue a more analytical career in nursing or perhaps even teaching nursing concepts, but should I give up on the Practice
    (hands-on) because I fear a few needles and cries of pain?

What's your opinion folks? I would greatly appreciate your correspondance!

Jessica

Jessica,

don't give up. You can't give up now anyway, it's against the law-you're past the point of no return.

And hey, I was scared to death of needles and all that stuff too, but after practicing IV sticks, and doing the phlebotomy class, and especially after my week long OR rotation, I got over that.

Hey, when I was a freshman I made a 1.45 and a 1.21. I don't even remember my first 3 years of college.

You'll be fine, and besides, its' not near as bad as people will make it out to be.

jessnccu5801

Thank you for the encouragement! I really appreciate it! I guess sometimes it is easy to become discouraged when you are so close to your blessing!

On a lighter note: I picked up two volumes of "Memory Notebook of Nursing" and I really enjoyed looking over the pages. I gained a little confidence when I began to see that I knew a lot of the information. I think I would recommend these books to any student because #1- They are not very expensive and #2 the information is presented in a interesting way!

Again, I thank you for the encouragement "shortbus"! I think I'm going to hold on!

Jessica, please do hang in there.

Also, tell me more about these books. Do they sell them online and can you link to them? Thanks

jessnccu5801

Well, I picked up my books from the school bookstore and Volume I was $19.95, but I found a link for Amazon.com that might be useful!
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...74441?v=glance

I know this may be a little steep for some but... I really like the way the material is covered!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast