Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: to stay in nursing or not?

Re: to stay in nursing or not?

I'm not sure what the abbreviations are in the UK, but here in the states they are as follows;

GN - Graduate Nurse (after graduation but before you take the boards)
    LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse
    LVN - Licensed Vocational Nurse (like an LPN)
    RN - Registered Nurse (higher level of training than LPN/LVN)
    ADN - Associates Degree in Nursing (an RN with a 2 year degree)
    BSN - Bachelors of Science in Nursing (an RN with a 4 year degree)
    ARNP - Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (Masters level RN)
    CRNA - Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (Masters level also)
    PA - Physician's Assistant (ARNP wannabes )
    CCRN - Critical Care Registered Nurse
    CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant
    CMA - Certified Medical Assistant
    EMT - Emergency Medical Technician
    EMT-P - Paramedic
    OT - Occupational Therapist
    RT - Respiratory Technician (Therapist?)

I can't think of any more off the top of my head. Maybe someone can add to this?

Please stay in Nursing. . .

Many Roles - One Profession: A Thanks to Our Nurses

The detective who gathers information vital to your health
    Regardless of your origin, your skin tone or your wealth;
    The guardian who observes your movements, temperature and hue;
    The teacher showing family how to help take care of you;
    The administrator following orders and procedures as required,
    But goes a few steps further to achieve what you desire;
    The clerk documenting your care for others to refer;
    The waitperson making sure your food is served as you prefer;
    The valet who fluffs your pillow and helps you change your clothes;
    The caring human to whom you trust thoughts and feelings you disclose:
    These people are all involved in your total healthcare plan.
    They are all essential to make you well as quickly as they can.
    The many roles are tended to when you are at your worst;
    And wrapped into one profession chosen by your nurse.

Wow thanks. Thats a lot of qualifications. But i guess it adds to the feeling of wanting to get to the top and be the best person that you can be that makes it as enjoyable.
    I have posted a question on another thread called, being a male nurse; but had no reply. So i thought i could ask it here.
    1. What are the important things you need to prepare yourself for before you go into university to become a nurse.
    2. Also what would you say is the best course to do to get into male nursing; that might be a hard question to answer but i will appreciate any help i can get.
    Thanks, Chris

I am considering nursing as a career, I have spent the last
    3 years in the IT field and find it to be terribly mundane. I am considering becoming a nurse practitioner with a speciality in women's health. Is nursing really that bad?
    What advice would you give someone who is considering the profession?

I find myself at a crossroads and considering getting out of the profession. I honestly will miss the money but the rampant co-dependent expectations are wearing me out. The feeling is that if you compentently do your job and are enjoying your job then you must need more to do. The continuous adding on of job responsibilities are very much over the top. I have tried and tried to keep up with it all. For the time being I am only walking away from long term care. I will not be back. I adore the residents but the job tasks and the hours are awful. I feel used and used up. I am just a commodity to be used until I am no longer a productive product. Burnout? That train left quite awhile ago.

management is taught to delegate and they are judged on their ability to delegate. trouble is no one checks to see if the delegation was apropriate. I worked in long term care for many years and now it has gotten to the point that nurses are judged not by their nursing skills but by how many charts that they can forge. One place I worked in took 2 hours to pass meds and there was 2 heavy med passes that takes care of 4 hours, at least an hour for a meal now there is 5 hrs taken care of. treatments can take up to an hour with some. there is 6 hours. an admission can take up to an hour there is 7 hrs accounted for. In that last hour you are expected to talk to family, assess pts., call doctors, labs, families and chart. Now if you get 2 admissions, or a pt falls, or a pt pulls out their catheter, or a pt. dies. you have to fit all that in because management states that it can be done. they don't want to pay over time. If you have a pt looking for the medicine that the pharmacy is to deliver and the pharmacy delivers the wrong medicine you must limit your time you spend trying to explain to an irrate pt. why this happened or that the pharmacy isn't going to bring it any time soon. If you get through all this hope that all your CNA's are responcible enough to do their jobs with out having to go behind them and checking every little thing they are suposed to do. after 20+ years of this maybe it is time to go into another aspect of nursing.

I am currently a second semester nursing student at Cal State Long Beach and I'm am a bit scared because I don't know what I got myself into. Granted, I am a very caring person, but cannot see myself as a bedside nurse...and feel guilty that I am feeling this way. Not that non-bedside nurses aren't real nurses...but the most important thing for me is to enjoy what I do. Money isn't everything and it sure doesn't bring you happiness. Also, I am getting a taste of how management is from my clinical rotations and having a difficult time coping with the fact that it is a thankless job. I am aware that whatever career path I choose, there will always be that person(s) that hold a higher position that will not treat you w/ respect...and abuse their power. I already know that I will continue to finish up my RN/BSN degree because frankly, I just want to get done with school and don't want to waste anymore time. My question to this forum is, What kinds of nursing jobs are out there for a nurse who does not want to be a bedside nurse? Some that I've researched so far are forensic nursing, Public Health Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, etc. I am quite interested in the Nurse Practitioner profession, any advice?

I was in IT too.... and i got burned out because it felt so lifeless. I am now going to nursing school and interested in some similiar goals as you are and i will tell you what, just being accepted to the school and knowing i finally have a real direction has changed my life completely for the better.

EDIT: wow.. i replied to a post that was in like page 4 or 5 haha. My advice to you NurseSimba... go for the nurse practitioner if you want to! If its a true goal of yours then dont let anything stop you. It will be intense schooling but i believe well worth it in the end. I have no experience with nursing but i have experience with goals and working in different places. What i have found in all walks of life yes there will be someone who will abuse their power but the best thing in the world to do is when your in that position DONT abuse the power and stop the cycle right there.

Case in point when i was the new guy in my Air Force maintenance unit some time ago i was treated like crap all the time along with my fellow new guys. Once we got to the point to where we had new guys to train i treated the new guys with respect and actually gave them motivation to learn whereas my colleagues treated the new guys like crap because it happened to them. I will never forget how thankful they were to learn from me and how they carried that on for when they would train others. If you dont like what you see then make changes in a positive way.

I have been an RN for almost 4 years and I am about to quit. I have tried changing jobs and specialties (twice in 5 months) and it's all the same. I am tired of the bedside care, the stress, the pt load. I like nursing and people are surprised when I quit because they think I am so "smart", a quick learner; that's just the way I am, however, I am hating it. The thing is I think I am a good nurse and I do a good job but I do not know why I hate it. I am looking for a no-pt care care job now, like laser hair removal, but I feel frustrated and so disappointed that I feel this way, I don't know what to do.

Changing jobs

I can't imagine anyone in any profession does not have the same anxieties. I'm 43 years old and nursing will be my third career. After 14 years on the first job, I made the decision that it was not what I wanted to do with my life. Ten years on the second job and the company I am with will soon be exporting my job overseas, so I have already mentally checked out. Each of these jobs came with challenges and frustrations and I don't expect nursing to be any different. Why did I choose nursing? I look forward to the challenge and to some extent the stress, sometimes I even perform better under stress. I will change what I can change in increments to make the job/level of care better, work within the parameters I can't change, and when it gets to be to much, look for something different. I read something once on this forum that ultimately helped me make the decision - "Nursing is one of the few professions where you can change jobs without changing careers".

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678