Thread: Blind and thinking of going into nursing, need advice please

Blind and thinking of going into nursing, need advice please

Hi everyone. I'm new here and wanted to get some feedback on this question. I'm a blind woman with ending stages advanced Glaucoma, have a little sight left in one eye, totally blind in the other. Thinking of going back to school to become a LVN but want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for failure. Due to my visual impairment, I am not very fast in moving about and have to take things at a slower rate. My remaining small central vision is still fair, just unable to see fine print or see in dim light. No peripheral vision. I use a white cane and soon will be going to recieve a guide dog for mobility. Would like some honest opionions on this subject. Will I have problems entering a nursing program? Does a nurse have to be fully sighted to perform her duties? Thank you.

Chris

Re: Blind and thinking of going into nursing, need advice please

Anything is possible to them that believe. However, you need to really determine if this is something you really want or if this is a passing idea. You have some significant challenges, however the desire is really there then it is certainly possible. You will need to check with state licensing guideline to ensure that you qualify under the circumstances.

Member Extraordinaire

I'm not saying it's impossible, but if your vision fails you even more, will you still be able to see the numbers on a blood pressure monitor? Can you see well enough to assess a patient's skin color, see what you are doing if you are giving a shot, or read labels on medications? These will all be necessary skills if you want to be an LVN. If you are not sure if you will be able to do the job, ask at your school or at a local hospital if you can shadow an LVN for a day- that will give you a good idea of whether you will be able to do this or not.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

No, your disability is too tall a hurdle. Your interest of going into nursing, while very noble, is not very realistic.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN