Thread: Travel nursing position in Texas

Travel nursing position in Texas

Hi there, I need advice from other fellow travelers. I signed a contract with Onward Healthcare at Medical city hospital in Dallas Texas with a January 4th start date. I was informed that I was required to write a pbds test during my orientation but nothing mentioned regarding the outcome of failing this test. I drove from Ottawa, Ontario to Dallas, Texas a drive of 27hours and now am stranded here as the outcome of failing this crazy test was losing my job. I am currently paying for my own hotel arrangements and my recruiter is trying to find me another contract. If I would have know that this was a possible outcome I would have never accepted a contract with this hospital. If anyone has any advice please reply.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Travel nursing position in Texas

Unfortunately, since it is after the fact, there is not much you can do. Always ask about testing requirements on assignments before you sign any contract.

The fact that your recruiter didn't tell you about the PBDS is shady, and tells me they are dishonest. Don't let them tell you they didn't know about it- they know which hospitals require PBDS & which don't. I would find a recruiter you can trust & see if they can find you a different assignment.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Oh, believe me, Onward knew about the pass/fail outcome of PBDS.
    Anyway, are you signed on with other companies? If not, get on line NOW and look up other travel jobs in Texas, call, a recruiter, you can sign on quick to another company.
    What is your specialty?
    Keep us posted.

My friend had a new recruiter and went to North Carolina for an ICU position and her recruiter also failed to mention that she had to take this test and she failed it and lost her job. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do now. I was told to always ask the recruiter if the hospital requires this test and if they do require it don't take the position. There are lots of hospitals that don't require this test so keep your head up and definitely find a different recruiter because that is there job to tell you. They have a list of all the hospitals that requires this test. They all say the test is no big deal but they aren't the ones taking it.

Ssavage,
    i sent you a private message with some ideas to find another travel job while you are in texas.

Thanks everyone for replying. Your help is greatly appreciated. My experience with Onward Healthcare was shady since the beginning so I should have expected this. I learned my lesson the hard way I guess. I have spoken with many recruiters from different companies such as: Cross Country Travcorps, Medstaff, Intellistaff and Clinical One. I spoke with Michelle from Clinical One as recommended by one of the members on this forum and she was very helpful. I have sent out my application to different hospitals through other companies and I am hoping that something will turn up by the end of the week. Thanks again all!!!

Avoid Intelistaff. Check the reviews section on this site and click on companies. This is where you can read nurses opinions of companies and Intelistaff has negative posts. Also, you can review hopitals too, under the Review Section at top of this page.
    Anyway, sent you another private message.
    Hope all is going well
    K

I was with Cross Country and my recruiter was really good. If you want the info PM me.