Thread: Labour & Delivery or Midwife?

Lightbulb Labour & Delivery or Midwife?

Hi just wanted to know if anyone is a labour and delivery nurse or a midwife if you are could you please tell me what your roles are?Thanks

Re: Labour & Delivery or Midwife?

Depends on if you are in a teaching facility or a non-teaching facility. I was trained at a non-teaching facility and learned how to manage the patient. The biggest difference I have noticed is the doctors at a teaching facility do most if not all the exams, applications of internal monitors, and they call when to push the patient.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Labour & Delivery or Midwife?

I work at 2 different hospitals at one I function as triage, L&D, circulate c/s and recovery, and post partum. The other is L&D but might also have antenatal and post partum. I get patients in either in labor or for inductions (or think they are in labor, ROM, decreased fetal movement) assess them then call the doc with my assess. If they are in labor I monitor them throughout the labor including contractions, fetus, vitals, medications...push when they are ready, call the doc for any problems in labor and then the doc appears when the baby is crowning. If there is a problem I manage the problem and prepare for delivery whether vaginal or c/s. Insturct/assist with breastfeeding. I'm certified in inpatient obstetrics, ACLS and NALS. When pts think they are in labor I assess and determine if they are or are not usually the doctor doesn't show up if not if they are MD may show up sometime before delivery.