I am 23-years old and will be attending (hopefull) a Master's entry CNL program next September. I'm still doing my prereqs and to pay the bills I got a job as a personal caregiver to a particular man in a 24-hour care nursing home. Most of the residents have Alzheimer's / dementia, but my client is more or less mentally with it, but he does require personal assistance, ambulatory help as well as a male caregiver around to make sure he doesn't grab or try to harrass the female residents or caregivers (apparently it is a big problem; I haven't seen it personally yet).

The personal caregiving aspects (changing him, washing him, etc.) are not a problem. But my client snaps at me often and is usually in a very irritable mood. It is getting better over time but every 8 hour shift is usually a struggle for me to try to get along with him, make sure he's comfortable and has all his needs met without making him mad. His other caregivers have a similar story.

This job is not a good one and this client isn't ideal; that's fine, it isn't like I will be doing this forever. My question is this: if I don't like this job, should I be getting into nursing at any level?