Thread: Starting A new job

Starting A new job

I will be starting my new job on Monday as a Nurse Practitioner in a nursing home. I'm really excited but nervous too. Can anyone give me some tips about working in a nursing home or being an NP? The last 20 years I've been working as an ICU staff nurse, so I feel like a fish out water!

Nurseannieb<font color="purple">Text</font>

Re: Starting A new job

If a nurse practioner has not been on staff, move very slowlly in the world of the nurses.The elderly will pose a all new type of care. Spent 101/2 years as a night staff/floor nurse in long term care doing hands on care awellas supervising the staff in 150 bed nursing home.

[ QUOTE ]
    If a nurse practioner has not been on staff, move very slowlly in the world of the nurses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that! True so true! But not to worry, you'll do just fine. I find that most staff nurses really do look up to NP's as long as they don't develop some of those 'holier than thow' attitudes so prevelant with doctors, and PA's for that matter ( who by the way are nowhere near as experienced as a good NP! )

I say... Go get 'em tiger!

Good luck. State rules are so different in a nursing home compared to the hospital. Working with the geriatric population can be very frustrating and very rewarding all at the same time.

As an LPN of 27 years working directly under a physician in an office practice, my first experience with a nurse practitioner was a bad one! After questioning all the letters in her newly acquired title I still recall her words, " First of all,RN stands for REAL nurse, whereas LPN stands for lets pretend nurse" Needless to say I cringe now each time a nurse practitioner pulls rank on the lower ranked LPNs, regardless of the LPN's work experience or job training. Please keep in mind that the "P" in LPN stands for "practical" and sometimes it's the LPN that comes up with the most "practical" solution in dealing with patients, and treat all employees within the institution you work in with respect and comraderie, rather than rank! Mutual respect will make for better work conditions and inevitably better patient care! Good luck!

You'll be great! I've been in the E.R. for 10 years and started in a LTC as per diem RN. Geriatrics can be frustrating, but I find the rewards far greater. My greatest help was the long-time staff nurses and CNAs. Everyone had a little insight to the each resident, and believe me no two were alike. It's a grand difference from the E.R., world's apart,and I really enjoy it. I wish you the happiness I found.