Thread: Need some help/advice from experienced travelers!!!

Unhappy Need some help/advice from experienced travelers!!!

Im in a bad situation, and not sure what to do?? Here's my story: Im a first time traveler, got an assignment in Ganado, Arizona that started jan. 11th of this year. The hospital is on a indian reservation, and a good distance from pretty much anything! When i took the assignment i was told that the hospital had on campus housing, but it might be a few weeks until they had a room ready for me. Its now almost 4 weeks into my assignment and Im still staying at a Red Roof Inn, which is an hour and fifteen minutes away from the hospital!! I knew that i mite have to wait a while for campus housing..my problem is the amount of money im paying for my hotel...I have 295.00 a week deducted from my paycheck, add that to the gas money im spending on my two hour and thirty minute drive round trip to work...well its not good!! I either misunderstood my recruiter or didnt ask enough questions..but i totally feel like im being taken advantage off. I didnt realize that housing was deducted from your pay that way...Im paying a total of 1200.00 a month to stay in a motel!!!! it makes me ill!!! I really need to know if this is normal for a travel position or am I being totally naive?? Like i said this is my first time traveling so i have no idea what the norm is....another thing..i had to pay almost 450.00 in gas just to get here..i was advanced the money but of course im paying it back??? please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated...starting to feel helpless....

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Need some help/advice from experienced travelers!!!

Sounds like your recruiter took advantage of your first-time traveler status. Housing should be free- you should never have to pay for your own travel housing. ALWAYS get pay rates quoted that include free housing, insurance, travel reimbursements, etc. Many dishonest companies will lure you in with high pay rates, but then fail to tell you that all of your housing, benefits, etc. are deducted from your pay.

You should be getting free housing, and if your company couldn't find you housing close to your assignment, they should be reimbursing your daily mileage to travel to and from work. They should have also reimbursed your travel expenses. Most companies offer at least $500 travel reimbursement, with no requirement to re-pay those funds. Unfortunately, since you did not confirm any of this prior to accepting the assignment, it probably isn't in your contract, so you really wouldn't have much recourse.

I would chalk this up to a lesson learned, and do more research on your next assignment- find a new travel company, and ask them about everything- never assume anything. What company are you with now?
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I was afraid of that response!!! Thanks so much for replying, I had a bad feeling after talking with other travelers that I was being taken advantage of!! AdvantageRN is my company, good name huh?? Ive been so stressed out about this situation, and not sure what to do...I really dont want to stay in this contract, what would happen if i cancelled?? Im paying for everything myself!!! I really want to switch companies but afraid of the consequences! thanks again for your response, at least I know im not over reacting....:nurse-soapbox:

Member Extraordinaire

If you are thinking about canceling, you really need to read your contract to find out if there would be any financial penalties. Your company hasn't signed an apartment lease for you, so there shouldn't be any costs associated with that, but still go over your contract with a fine-toothed comb before deciding whether or not to cancel.

I have not heard many good things about Advantage RN. A travel company should never require you to re-pay your travel funds. Most reimburse you up to a specific amount once you reach your assignment destination. You should also not have to pay anything for your housing- you should be put in a free apartment, or a free hotel if no apartment is available.

Companies I've found to be more reliable include: RN Network, Clinical One, Trinity Healthcare Staffing, & Aureus.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Travlers don't pay for housing, it's free.. so,even if you are in a hotel you should not have to pay. Now, have you called your recruiter? AND discussed this situation? WEll, call today.. Get answers for your concerns. Advantage is taking Advantage of you, or, so it sounds.
    Keep us posted,so we can help you..

Wink Re: Need some help/advice from experienced travelers!!!

thanks for your reply, I wouldve responded sooner but Ive been in HELL and havent had the chance! Before I post the outcome to my "adventure", Im giving this place a fair chance to make things right. I have been reassured that this will happen by monday, so we shall see. it seems they are honestly trying, so either im a moron, or things will get better. I will definetely keep you updated, good or bad. I want people to be aware of whats going on with this place, especially if they dont make things right!!

This is a crazy situation. I can't understand it, but would sure appreciate it if you would pm me your recruiters name. I have been with Advantage RN for nearly 5 years. I have never had a bad experience with them. Housing is ALWAYS free, they pay for my licensure, travel expenses, etc... If I were you, I would be angry as well.

Companies I recommend from past experience or referral...

Trinity Healthcare Staffing
    Medical Solutions
    PPR