Thread: AA or BSN??

jessnccu5801

AA or BSN??

I am currently on my third year waiting to be accepted into Nursing School. I have finished most my prerequisites and I have a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale but........
    It has come to my attention that I may not get in..

Now look, I have not given up my dream of being a nurse or becoming a nursing instructor but ....my funds are dry!

I am thinking about transferring my credits to a community colllege and getting my AA and then transferring to the university.

I consider this because I already have all the credits necessary to begin the actual nursing courses and clinicals and I can be out in a year! And then I can enter the accelerated BSN program...........but I know that if I transfer I may lose some of my credits.......
    I do not know whether to stay or go!
    I don't want to rush but as I said funds are low and I can't wait forever.................

Does anyone have any suggestions?

And Should I be disturbed????

Re: AA or BSN??

The program that I am going through is a step program (e.g.CNA, LPN, AARN, BSN...) Some of my friends in the program had taken some college courses before starting the nursing programs. We are at the AARN right now and the classes that they had taken before have transferred.

As long as the classes are approved by the nursing course you are planning to attend there should be no problem with transferring credits.

Why not apply for both? The community college I went to had an accelerated program. Maybe your credits will transfer. I have my AAS, so I'd suggest to get your AAS, go get a job at a facility that'll pay for your BSN. The hospital I'm at only pays a 50 cent differential for the BSN anyway, and they're paying for my BSN 100% as long as I keep a B average. They'll contribute to my MSN when I'm ready.....and meanwhile, I am receiving pay.

Hi! I'm currently enrolled in an AS program for nursing. It's a two year program for an RN and you get your AS. I think you should just go ahead and go get your AS and start working as a nurse. Don't keep waiting to get into a BSN program. In California having a BSN means that you can get into "management" positions. The pay doesn't differ from someone who has a AS degree. I personally think you should just get into a AS program complete it in two years take the state board exam start working as a nurse and then if you want to get a higher education go from there. A BS program offers the student more "theory" where an AS program offers the student more "clinical." I have truly benefited in my AS program and I'll be graduating in 5 weeks. Just go for it!