Thread: Probation

Probation

I have had four alcohol related arrests while working as an RN. Two DWIs and two public intoxs, the first three of which happened five to six years ago. The last offense was two years ago. Now the state board of AR is telling me they are going to place me on probation for a year and a half. Is it worth hiring a lawyer and trying to fight this? If I do get placed on probation, is this going to make it difficult for me to work anywhere else? I would like to move out of the town I live in now and move to a compact state. Will I even be able to do that if I am on probation?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Probation

Quote Originally Posted by Worried View Post
    I have had four alcohol related arrests while working as an RN. Two DWIs and two public intoxs, the first three of which happened five to six years ago. The last offense was two years ago. Now the state board of AR is telling me they are going to place me on probation for a year and a half. Is it worth hiring a lawyer and trying to fight this? If I do get placed on probation, is this going to make it difficult for me to work anywhere else? I would like to move out of the town I live in now and move to a compact state. Will I even be able to do that if I am on probation?
    I'm going to ask a blunt question. You say you haven't been arrested in two years. Does that mean you quit drinking or that you just haven't been caught?

If you have quit drinking and are sober congratulations if you are still drinking it's only a matter of time before you get caught again. Deal with the drinking problem 1st.

As for your legal question - you can call a lawyer because it might be helpful to know your legal options especially if you have been sober for two years, but I would suggest that you find one familiar with dealing with the nursing boards, most board contracts for probation or diversion are very restrictive about when and where you are allowed to work so a lawyer experienced in this area might be a good idea.

Good luck to you

Hppy