Thread: Cancelling Travel Assignment

Cancelling Travel Assignment

I was wondering if I could be offered some insight on a problem I might have. I had planned for 8 mos to relocate to NYC, and finally found a travel assignment in Manhattan. It was a really great opportunity and I was very excited, but had to cancel a week prior. I felt terrible and it was a decision that I struggled with, but it just didn't make sense to go at this time. My dad had recently become ill, having heart problems. And although he's stable now, I just don't feel comfortable leaving yet. I also had to help him relocate to California in the week prior to cancelling and fell very far behind in school (completing my bachelor in nursing, which is very important to me--I have an associate currently)

Anyway, for numerous reasons, I became overwhelmed and decided to try to postpone the move for a month. The hospital wouldn't do that. I felt that was understandable. I didn't expect them to hold the position. I also knew that I would have to pay a specific cancellation fee, as well as pay back rent if that had been obtained already, and drug screen fees, etc.. I never signed a housing contract, because at that point I was having second thoughts.

I had questioned my recruiter a few times regarding the section on cancellations-- asking what exactly I would be responsible for and what cancelling for 'good cause' was. I've now been told that my dad being ill is not good cause. That's fine. I'm willing to pay the fee and the cost for drug screens, etc. I never signed the housing contract, so I don't have to worry about that. BUT they are saying that I may have to pay for the replacement RN's salary- up to $70/hr for four days a week up to 2 weeks!!

Is it just me, or is that crazy? I have never heard of something like that before. I also have never done travel nursing before, and it seems very misleading to me that they would speciffy that I could have to pay for the cost of the drug screen,etc, but leave out the most expensive cost, which is another nurses salary, especially when I inquired about this more than once. When I reread the contract, it seems open ended enough that they could do that. But it was never stated that I could have to pay for another RNs salary. All it says is omething along the lines of 'could incur but are not limited to the following charges: rent, utilities, drug screens...' I was wondering if they were probably just saying that to scare me? Or if they could actually do this!

When I asked my recruiter if she could give me a specific amount that I would have to pay so I could make an informed decision as to whether I should force myself to take the job or not (since it would be ridiculous to pay $5,000 just to turn down a position--if that were the case, I would force myself to make arrangements and go), or specific guidelines for this that they have in place with the hospitals, she couldn't give me an answer. Because of this, I went ahead and turned down the job. She said it could be days or months before they know if the hospital will charge. She also said they may or may not charge and she doesn't know if it will be a whole two weeks or one week's salary they will charge me. Also, I questioned why I would have to pay a whole $70/hr for this other nurse when I would only have been making around 50/hr including incidentals such as rent. Why wouldn't I just be forced to pay the difference in pay?

Wondering if I made a mistake? I would have gone if they had given me a definite answer as to what the consequences would be. But I didn't want to be forced to go if they couldn't tell me for sure if I would even be charged. It seemed way too ambiguous to me....

Thanks!

Re: Cancelling Travel Assignment

Don't worry about anything. Your Father's illness is a good reason for cancellation. I doubt the hospital will charge.
    Family illness is the biggest reason nurses cancel.
    If you ever get a bill, I would contact Better Business Bureau or someplace along those lines and don't ever contract w this company again.

Member Extraordinaire

What company is this??? I have never heard of having to pay for a replacement nurse.... sounds pretty ridiculous.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

So I'm not crazy that that seems ridiculous, right? I received a call today saying that the total comes out to just under $6,000!!! I'm trying to find out what the laws are regarding contracts in California, as this is where the agency is based out of. At the time I signed the contract, I was pretty sure I would go... but there's NO way I would've signed if I had known about this!! I didn't even sign and send in the housing contract because I had started to have second thoughts. Ugh. I feel so stupid. But I'm trying to figure this all out.

They said that the hospital is billing the agency for $72/hr to hire a per diem for 2 weeks. Plus the $750 cancellation fee..

I've never heard of being charged. I would not answer any calls from them or emails. Just move on and see if you get a bill.
    Once a company said I owed some money for housing, I left them and never got a bill.