Thread: How much studying will the nursing program require

How much studying will the nursing program require

I'm 40 and am working on my pre-req's for the nursing program at our local comm college. The nursing program is a 2-year RN. The classes are 8-5. My question: others of you that have taken a similar class-load, how much studying did you have to do OUTSIDE of class. I'm trying to get an idea of how much it will take for to get through those two years.

Re: How much studying will the nursing program require

I have been out of school for s e v e r a l years now....but I remember putting in lots of study time. I had 3 babies at the time (5 and under)...so I had to grab study time anywhere I could. I was in the BS program. I didn't have to work during that period so I had some time I could designate to studying when kids were napping, etc. School was my life at that time!!!---or at least, it felt like it. I really enjoyed it though. it is WELL worth it. One of my daughters is in the nursing program right now, as a matter of fact. She loves it.

Lovenoxsue,
    Thanks for the input. I figured that it would pretty much take all my free time. I just want to have an idea so I can be mentally prepared to give up all those "other things" and not try and keep everything up like usual.

I'm 37 with two kids and a wife. I'm coming to the end of my first semester and, I have to say, it was an unexpectedly high work load. It's not something that you can work full time and expect to do well. I am working part time but next semester I'll have to quit entirely. But then again I have to take two classes in addition to my nursing classes. Very busy schedule indeed.

It will pretty much take all of your free time. If you have a family be sure that they are prepared to "lose" you while you are in school.

Just be sure to get all of your prereqs done BEFORE you start the program. Due to some time constraints dictated by the grant program I'm in, I have to take four additional classes concurrently with the nursing classes the first two semesters. I wasn't able to get all my prereqs done before entry. It's not fun.

Good luck to ya!

When I began my nursing classes my oldest was 9 months old and then I found out 2 months into classes I was pregnant again!! I had baby #2 9 days after my last day of class, so I had to wait over a month to take my NCLEX after all my classmates. It took all my time tending to a little baby and myself being pregnant, but I pushed myself and made it thru. I remember falling asleep in class and being awakened by little kicks in my belly and laughter from classmates AND instructors!! GOOD LUCK!!!

well not that I do it myself but at the beginning of my first year my co-ordinator and teachers outlined that to be successful we should expect to be doing 2-3 hours of homework and studying for every hour of class time for our nursing theory class.

I'm only into my first semester of this, but from my experience at Mesa Community College was that the classes (Prereqs.) were all pretty and required little studying outside of class time to maintain a 4.0. This is while taking 28 credit hours and working 30 hours a week. I don't expect to be working next semester only because I am 20 and would like to have something that resembles a life outside of school for a few years. If you do find you need to study I definately recommend starting early and studying for a little bit everynight. There is no way to "cram" this and remember it a week from now. Also, most of the information is cummulative, so it's always a good idea to really know the material, rather than just have it memorized. I also think it helps to have someone to study with, becuase then you can't back out (LOL, not a big studier here).

I really appreciate all your feedback. I knew it would take a lot of time. This info will help me prepare my husband and 3 kids that I'm going to have to spend more and more time in the books and less and less time doing things for them. They'll have to become more self-sufficient I also have heard that estimate of 2-3 hrs homework = 1 hr class time. That is a good guideline. I am trying to complete ALL my prereqs before entering the program. I can imagine that doing both at the same time would be very difficult. Good luck to you Cammer. Thanks everyone! Wish me luck!

BTW LvngAngel--I'll be going to MCC as well. Keep in touch!