Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No jobs for new grad rn's

No jobs for new grad rn's

Massachusetts - New Grad RN Crisis Situation Across The Country - "Sorry, we're not hiring new grads" - What happens in 5 years when the Recession subsides and there are thousands of New Graduate RN's ( back to 2009) who Never received the standard med/surg/acute care training that every nurse before 2008 received right out of nursing school??? The hospitals are closed to new grad RN's. I know in Massachusetts, a new grad RN can not even get a job at the worst of nursing homes. They all want " one year med/surg experience required"..Well guess what...we CAN"T GET IT....so now what happens to all these nurses who entered nursing school around 2005/2007 because of the "Big Nursing Shortage" and have now graduated, passed the boards and can't get a job because no one hires new grads without med/surg experience!!!????

Member Extraordinaire

Re: No jobs for new grad rn's

Relocate. Unfortunately, there are areas of the country right now that are saturated with new grads, and other areas where the nursing shortage is very much a reality. If you are in MA, you might need to look in NYC, DC, or in the Balitmore area... TX, FL, & parts of CA are also very hard up for nurses right now....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I can not relocate. I have two young children in school and my husband has his own business. I also take care of an elderly parent.

Tough situation, I know you can't relocate, BUT, I would keep after the nurse recruiter and why not write to the DON at the hospital of your choice?and ask for a JOB
    I have heard your story too many times lately. Hang in there.

It took me six months to find a job after nursing school, but I was picky. A couple of suggestions…first, look into your college to see if any of your instructors have leads or contacts. Also most college’s have a career assistance center that you might find useful. Secondly, if you did a internship, or what my program called a leadership course stay in contact with your proctor and or the nurse manager of that unit. They might be able to get you leads for jobs. Lastly, volunteering at a hospital or other place where you would like to work. This is a good way to get your foot into the door and if you can hold out might lead to a job, and if not would at least boost your resume.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

would Lowell be too far away?? I think Saints if feeling a pinch you may want to try there

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    Relocate. Unfortunately, there are areas of the country right now that are saturated with new grads, and other areas where the nursing shortage is very much a reality. If you are in MA, you might need to look in NYC, DC, or in the Balitmore area... TX, FL, & parts of CA are also very hard up for nurses right now....

Remember when I graduated in 1997, HMOs had been squeezing hospitals for insurance payments, hospitals had been laying off nurses left and right. Applied to 20 different hospitals after graduation, offered to work days/nights/evenings, with no luck.

Finally did relocate to Laredo, Texas where they always need nurses. Worked Telemetry for $15/hr for a year to get my initial experience, then left to go back to New Jersey. Once I was back, finding a job wasn't difficult. Was young and single at the time, made it easier to move away. Know not everyone has that option.

Even today, there are areas of the country which have a desperate need for nurses. Realize though, you're going into an environment where you'll be under shortstaffed conditions and not the best initial learning environment.

Hope that is helpful.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Network...network....network...

Knowing the right people makes all the difference in the world..

Quote Originally Posted by trimedic37 View Post
    Network...network....network...

Knowing the right people makes all the difference in the world..
    Who you know is definitely a part of the jobhunting puzzle. Past coworkers, people you've met at conferences, etc. They can sometimes open doors that you didn't know existed.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast