Thread: Question---should i report them?

Facebook User

Question---should i report them?

Hello fellow nurses! I have a question. I currently work at George Washington Hospital in DC and have only been there 3 months and am leaving. I have been treated terribly there. Amongst many things they require a mandatory 12hr shift overtime once schedule from each nurse. Now mind you their nurse patient ratio is 6-7:1. The floor I work on is a neuro/ortho floor so you can imagine my days with 6 patients! Also they do not pay past 0730 or 1930. Meaning if I clock out at 1945 or 0800 I do not get paid for the extra 15 or 20 mins (or even hour in some cases) that I stay! This isn't even the half of what they are doing to their nurses out there. Can they legally do this? If not should I report them? If so then to whom? Is there anyone I can contact that cares about nursing rights, or am I living in a fantasy world to believe anyone actually cares about us nurses?

SIDEBAR: This hospital sucks rotten eggs and I would not recommend anyone go work there. If you do find yourself there, don't sign any contracts (unless you're a traveler 13 wks of that crap is enough) as about more than half of the nurses on my unit are looking for another job. the other half are stuck for the next 2 years...poor new grads! my suggestion, stay until you find a better hospital (i.e. Georgetown) that has a union or magnent status! Picking up dog poo all day is better than dealing with those individuals who work in Nursing Admin..at least the dog poo respects me more!!

:nurse-soapbox:

Red face Re: Question---should i report them?

Pay discrepancies can be taken to the labor board. Many employers who engage in this type of behavior count on the employees being too afraid for their job or their employment reputation, to complain.