Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Shortage...really?

Exclamation Nursing Shortage...really?

So I am graduating in a year with my BSN, I was told going into nursing that there was a huge shortage (not that the money matters to me much, I just really love helping people heal, have since I learned how to put a band aid on when I was a kid!), but now I am being told the hiring has become competitive!

Is this because there are more nurses? Less money? Less need of nurses because of technology? Why? Any thoughts? I'd love to hear more from everyone!
    :banana:

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nursing Shortage...really?

In some areas of the country, there is indeed a nursing shortage. In other areas, though, there is a saturation of nurses. Much of this is due to hiring freezes from the poor economy. Hospitals are hurting financially too, so they are getting by with less nurses. This means higher patient ratios, poor working conditions, and less nursing jobs, especially for new grads. Many new grads are being forced to relocate or to commute further than they'd like, or to work part-time or in specialties that they may not have previously considered. Unfortunately, in a tight economy, the competition for jobs is fierce. What area of the country do you live in? Some hospitals are still offering new graduate "intern" or orientation programs, such as nurse residencies. These types of programs would allow you to get your foot in the door at a hospital.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    In some areas of the country, there is indeed a nursing shortage. In other areas, though, there is a saturation of nurses. Much of this is due to hiring freezes from the poor economy. Hospitals are hurting financially too, so they are getting by with less nurses. This means higher patient ratios, poor working conditions, and less nursing jobs, especially for new grads. Many new grads are being forced to relocate or to commute further than they'd like, or to work part-time or in specialties that they may not have previously considered. Unfortunately, in a tight economy, the competition for jobs is fierce. What area of the country do you live in? Some hospitals are still offering new graduate "intern" or orientation programs, such as nurse residencies. These types of programs would allow you to get your foot in the door at a hospital.
    I live in South-West Ohio, and from what I understand here, if you don't have a BSN, you're not as likely to get hired. We still don't hear much about the availability of jobs even though we are in school. I've thought about being a PCA at a hospital while in school, but I'm not sure yet...

Member Extraordinaire

Any job you can get now will help you to get you foot in the door at a hospital. A hospital will be more likely to hire you if you have been working there as a PCA for a year & have proven that you are a hard worker, reliable, etc....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Like most things there are several issues here. First is that in some parts of the nation there is still a nursing shortage. If you can move look for areas that are growing in size. Areas contracting in size probably aren’t going to have as many openings.

Secondly, the economy caught up with healthcare. Since nursing is a majority female profession or pink collar job those with husbands that have been laid off are hanging on to their jobs longer than expected. Mass retirement will happen in the future to the baby boomer nurses that are riding out the poor economy, and once this happens there will be major job openings. Most people think this will happen in two or three years.

If you are looking for a job you should try and get hired in as a nurse technician or similar role. If you cannot afford to do that you might want to see about volunteering. Other tips for getting a nursing job is to impress the hell out of your leadership or internship instructor/proctor. Talk to the nurse manager on the units. Also maintain good relationships with instructors and classmates to hear about job leads. Lastly, if there is a unit or type of nursing your like join that professional organization before graduation. Joining fee’s are typically very low for students and this is a good way to network and boost a resume.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

They need plenty of nurses but, I would love to see a shortage of CNA's. That way the nurses have to work. lol That would be great! There are some lazy nurses in long term care and I have been tempted a number of times to call in when I knew I would be the only aid just so the nurses have to get out from the nurses station. Don't get me wrong. There are some great nurses I would never do that too. Also for anyone who tries to use the care of the residents against me well I only get a little under 9 dollars an hour. Those nurses who are making decent wages are the ones that have the responsibility. It is there license not mine. lol Those residents are not going to be in danger.

there are still lots of openings in med surg. The catch is, they want 1 yr experience. So do an internship. another reason for over saturation is because a lot of phillipino nurses were brought in yrs ago, thousands if them. my hospital is 90 percent phillipino. I applied for a job in DC at graduation, but was told no openings. Daughter sent me newspaper showing they brought in 3000 philipino nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    there are still lots of openings in med surg. The catch is, they want 1 yr experience. So do an internship. another reason for over saturation is because a lot of phillipino nurses were brought in yrs ago, thousands if them. my hospital is 90 percent phillipino. I applied for a job in DC at graduation, but was told no openings. Daughter sent me newspaper showing they brought in 3000 philipino nurses.
    Ain't this a crock? Like we aren't already hurting for jobs, and this happens?! Guess where the money will go, too. (Sorry!)

Angry Re: Nursing Shortage...really?

Yup there is a nursing shortage. In 2020 an increase of 200% in the shortage will be experienced pegging the number off to 340,000. In 1991, the US authorities estimated that 66% additional nurses are needed in 2020. What worsens this situation is the retiring and resigning of many nurses to venture into other jobs. Not to mention the decreasing numbers of students who are taking up nursing in college. One good thing probably for the current problem is that authorities observed a high rate of middle aged professionals and second course students who opt to practice nursing at their primes.

Another report tells that the increase in demand is somewhat delegated on a particular specialty of nursing. The people pediatric specialty services seem to view the problem as somewhat in a staggering phase. The increase of the demand is attributed to the increase of Pediatric Intensive Care Units across the country and also the reauthorization by President Obama of the Children’s Health Insurance Program also known as CHIP. This is another correlating factor to be attributed to the rise of demand is the increase of childhood medical cases like H1N1, diabetes, obesity, and asthma.

Read more: The Enduring Demand for Nurses

the nurse shortage is real and will get worst but a lot of it as someone mentioned is geography based. For example, Emory Hospital they are no open positions and when one does come up, its a shark frenzy!

I did see in the news though that Houston, TX they were having a shortage, http://www.macon.com/2010/06/24/1173...ng-nurses.html

hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast