Thread: can a construction worker who does not like needles become a nurse?

can a construction worker who does not like needles become a nurse?

****o, I am really getting a lot of information from this forum. I am a 37 year old male. I have been a carpenter for 20 years, I am starting general ed. classes to get me in to a nursing program. I have always thought this would be a fantastic way to help people and make a good living to suppourt my family. but obviously it is a huge change. I have a good friend that is a doctor, he has told me I would be an ideal person for this type of work.
    but I have some concearns, I dont like needles! will I be able to overcome this problem with training and practice or is it something you either can or cant handle.
    I am leaving a trade where I know almost eveything there is to know about building, I am the guy they call when there is a problem that nobody wants to or can fix. going in to one where I am as green as the 20 year old mall rat playing with her/his playstation in the admissions office to the college!
    Everyone I work with tells me I am nuts to try this. but I do have to make a change of some kind. I will have to become a construction manager or supervisor if I stay in this field ( I would hate that) or go for something I think would be better. I am simply getting to old to be climbing around in rafters or setting beams 40 feet up in the air. thanks for any input you have to offer.

Re: can a construction worker who does not like needles become a nurse?

you can definately do this.

It sounds like you are a very "hands on" person.

You may want to get your lpn/lvn first depending on whether or not they have that in your state and what their status there is.

An LPN program is very hands on, and you don't have to have college courses to get in.

You can get your RN or BSN from there and in 12 months you'll be done with the lpn program and you'll know whether it is for you or not as oppossed to getting all your college courses out of the way and then deciding it isn't for you.

I'm not saying doing what you're doing is the wrong way to go. I'm just basing it off a general stereotype, which usually is probably a bad thing but in your case maybe not.

It wouldn't hurt to at least explore the idea and see which one is right for you.

You DEFINATELY aren't too old to start nursing school.

As far as needles go, I used to be the same way only it wasn't needless necessarily, it was blood--more specifically MY BLOOD. I could cut myself open doing something stupid and it wouldn't bother me but if you stuck a needle in me the second I saw that blood I was out like a light.

IV therapy and all that nonsense scared me to death however I found that just staring right at the needle and saying okay BRING IT BABY! worked out really well. No more passing out.

I had no problem sticking someone else, it was just when I got stuck.

I still pass out when donating blood, but having lab drawn or whatever no longer bothers me.

You'll definately get over it I'm sure of that.

Good luck with your endeavors and keep us updated either way!

Member Extraordinaire

sure you can do it you'll be the needle user not the usee. Think of nursing as a construction project you have a plan of something to get done. Start with a sick patient do the things you know how to make them better (complete) see not so different after all.

In school you'll get to practice giving shots to oranges & starting IV's on dummy arms. You'll do it so often you'll lose the needle-phobia quick enough. Besides, as casioo said, you'll be the one doing the sticking & not the "stickee". *lol*

Think of it this way...
    One very quick minor stick for a patient... may mean you just helped save their life. A needle is only a tool & you're used to tools.

I also agree with the LPN route if there's a program nearby that you can get into. Take it as a first step & go the Online LPN to RN/BSN route after you get to work & let your employer's education benefits and federal student aid programs pay for your degree while you bring home a good paycheck!

That way you'll be working as a nurse in under a year too. If you can afford to spend the time in college full time for several years while working only part time, or not working at all though by all means go directly for your Associate or Bachelor degree in Nursing right off the bat of course, but adults used to earning an income and having families to support or bills to pay often find the quickest route (LPN first followed up by accellerated LPN to BSN degree online) works out best sometimes.

Good luck!

I have been a RN for over 12 years and to this day I am still allergic to pain, needles, and doctors. Remember, it is better to give (a needle) than to receive (a needle). I would imagine with your job you have to be organized, have good communication skills, be able to solve problems, and have good communication skills. These are very important traits to have as a nurse. Now there is nothing against becoming a LPN. I will always suggest going for your RN instead of LPN. As A RN your job opportunities are unbelievable. As a LPN your job opportunities are limited. Since LPNs are paid less than RNs you might end up with a pay cut as well. I hope this helps.

Arrow Re: can a construction worker who does not like needles become a nurse?

I hope that I can help u in some way, I have a fear of needles and at the age of 16 years I wanted to train to be a nurse, But My fear of needles and blood put me off. But I do work as a Care Assistant in a retirement home.
    I don't do the medication so I don't deal with needles myself. Just even to look at one makes me go weak.

I too would like to further myself in some form of nursing. But this is my fear stopping me again. Like the advide I have given you I to could do the same. I dont know if you could phone a nursing collage and explain your fears. Also exlpain what you want to do and they may help you in some way. Good Luck.

thanks to all that have replied, it is very reassuring to have positive feedback,from so many. I have a supourtive wife and family and some savings.so it will be possible for me to get an ADN right from the start.
    thanks again for all the replies. it helps a lot.

Just another opinion but as a mature student (and eventually RN) you sound like you posesss good critical thinking skills. That along with a solid nursing education will make you a valuable team member.
    Good luck

thank you for all the replies. I am enrolled full time at Greenville Tech in South Carolina taking all the pre requistes for nursing school. I am not so worried about needles anymore.Now I am wondering if I will even be accepted into the actual nursing program.
    Entrance is based soley on grades and prior education. I am struggling with all the algebra and see lots of people with engineering and buisness degrees all around me. I will have to get better grades than them to make up for my lack of education. To be considered for nursing school a C= an F! I am hoping I did not overestimate my abilities.

Is it like that all over the country?
    thanks again Pat - full time student/semi retired construction worker