Thread: Discuss 'Threat of infections' here.....

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Discuss 'Threat of infections' here.....

Re: Discuss 'Threat of infections' here.....

Hi, read this article...this is some scary info. I know there has been a change in cleaning the OR rooms with MRSA, C-diff etc. they now use bleach all over the room, equipment and close the room for the day. Have many of you heard of Bactoban being used a lot? I have seen an increase of orders for this.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I have heard of Bactrban for nasal MRSA......

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    I have heard of Bactrban for nasal MRSA......
    I had surgery at a hospital in Tampa. I did not know till my pre op appt this hospital had MRSA situation,previously.

I had to wipe with those wipes from head to toe, especially around my surgery area..
    Bactrban in my nose was gross.. Supposedly, I was to do the same thing after surgery.. The postop nurse and dr was arguing whether or not to send me home with the wipes and bactrban again.. *smh*.. Eww.

I read the article .. I've never heard of this infection.. So I dont want to work in the hospital.. lol!
    Working on being a happier me!

I have seen more and more referrals for placement come through with this bacteria in the urine. I cultured this out in a petrie dish during my micro pre-req's 17 years ago, off of a plant outside the classroom, my micro teacher told me it was so rare I would never see it again. Here it is! It reminds me of when the Health Departments started warning against MRSA and VRE years ago, everyone thought they were "alarmists", and look at the #'s now! Handwashing needs to be our #1 priority in-service. I have said this so many times to my staff that my nurses are now telling the Doctors to wash their hands before and after seeing patients...and they live to tell about it!

Hi, Definitely have seen an huge increase last 4 years of Incision and drainage of MRSA wounds in OR's everywhere. Infection control has a huge issue they are dealing with. When we take patient's back to their rooms after surgery, we see a lot more isolation signs on pt rooms then ever before ( have seen this in different hospitals in the last 4 years as travel nurse ) but maybe a lot more lately? I think because they put pt in isolation now for MRSA in nares and they are doing nasal swabs on pt admits more often.