Thread: Housewife headed back

Question Housewife headed back

Well, it's been a good 10 years or so since I worked as an RN. I de-activated my license in umm, 1999 or so. I was licensed in the State of NY, then moved to Austria for our work here, had our family and now, we are looking at returning to the US. It won't be right away, but I'd like to get back into the profession in the next few years - can someone tell me - if I do not return to NY, what is the next step?

Do I take a refresher course in our new state (yet to be determined - Va or Fla.). What is the procedure for re-activating my license and then practicing in a different state? How does the transfer work from one state to another - the State Board websites were not very helpful outside of contacting them direct.

Can someone tell me what is required in the State of Va. to maintain a license once it is re-activated? Where to look online?

Thanks - Jen
    PS - Anyone out there really think I can make the comeback after all these years??!

Re: Housewife headed back

****o Jen,

It'll certainly be easier reactivating your license vs getting one in the first place. What will be involved depends on the state board of nursing in the state you'll be going to.

I'd write to them and ask what's required to go active again. For some states it is a simple matter of paying a fee. For others, you'll need to fulfull continuing education requirements. Some may want you to take a refresher course before you can go active again.

Can't hurt to get the ball rolling early if you can. I'd deal with the state board directly. It is extra paperwork, but it may help if you reactivate in New York where you were last licensed. You'll have the best chance of getting reactivated there.

Once you have a current license, transferring to another state is usually a matter of paperwork and fees. If there is a "compact" agreement, it might be even easier than that.

Let us know how you make out.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    A to Z Nursing Resources
    http://www.nursinga2z.com