Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling alone, need advice!

Traveling alone, need advice!

I want to travel to San Francisco soon as my first assignment. I am young, single, been working for a year but nervous to travel alone. How hard is it to meet people? Would anyone reccomend it? Thanks!

travel to san fran

i leave for the city as it's called by the natives on friday the 5th of may. i will be at ucsf with rn network. it is supposed to be traveler friendly using alot of travelers as most facilities in ca do. if you would like to communicate with me i would enjoy it. i have been traveling for the past 6 mos and have had two assignments. good luck

Re: Traveling alone, need advice!

I too am headed out for the first time at the end of the summer. Most of my nurse friends have told me the first assignment is hard, especially the first 2 weeks. I'm scared to death of going out there alone but I'm trying to be brave. I've heard from several people that if you are at a big hospital, you will find other travelers that are in the same situation. Good luck to you.

Smile Re: Traveling alone, need advice!

I have been traveling for the past 4 years alone. I have been intimidated by some of the areas that I have traveled to. My golden rule has become, DO NOT GO OUT ALONE AFTER DARK. I work night shift so this is not really an issue for me. I have always made friends at the hospitals I have worked in that I will go do things with on my days off. If you do go out on the town alone just never look like a victim and keep to yourself. I have never had any problems, even in the supposedly worst parts of town. I am in my 40's so I would not have the same issues that you do being young. Be careful of where you go and if you do not know the area ask the people you work with where the safest places are. That is one of the questions I always ask during interviews with the facility before I ever get there. If you do not feel safe in the apartment they set you up in, let the company know it is not acceptable and have them move you to a safe area. The company is at least partially responsible for your safety on an assignment! Good luck to you and go for it. When you are young is when you can have the most fun, see all the sites and gain soooo much experience.
    :soexcited:

You can ask your recruiter to send you to a hospital with other travellers and put you in an apt with other travellers - that way you can meet others! Also, you can buddy up with another nurse friend and travel together.

Smile Re: Traveling alone, need advice!

hi! i'm heading out for the first time to travel October 1st so i'm in the same boat as you all.. i don't know where i'm going yet. my biggest fear will not be the work or hospital, but where i'm going to live. i dont' want a dump, just to go home and feel comfortable and safe. is that too much to ask? hope not... i'll be doing ER, which can be quite a challenge, especially in larger cities. i'm from a small town. should be interesting??? keep in touch you newbies. we can all help each other in many ways... good luck on the journey!

I have traveled alone to San Diego, San Francisco and now New York. Every city I have been to I have been able to make friends, some of which I will be best friends with for the rest of my life. The biggest key is to put yourself out there and start getting to know your coworkers right off the bat in orientation... all of my lasting friends started off this way. You guys are all in the same boat and new to the city. Just be openminded as to making new friends, people you wouldnt normally hang out with may become a good friend.
    As for san francisco, i found it to be such an awesome city, so much culture, fun sightseeing, but also felt unsafe in some of the areas. I feel safer in NYC than I did in SF. The place they put travelers up (or a good majority of them) was in a really bad area, lots of homeless people and drug addicts right outside the building. So make sure you find out where they want to place you and ask us on this website how the place is first before accepting. And CPMC was an awful awful assignment! Heard people had better luck at UCSF.

Thumbs up Re: Traveling alone, need advice!

Would u possibly be interested in a travel buddy. I would hate to travel alone, but a lot of people love it. I like having someone with me to enjoy the city and its surrounding areas. It would also be nice having someone to talk to when you have had a bad day. My husband traveled with me for over a year, but he is not ready to start traveling again. Anyway, if you are interested in doing an assignment, contact me! Best of Luck!

Donna

I have been traveling alone for years right now I am with RTG Medical and they make sure I am always in a safe location and my recruiter stays in close contact with me - so I feel very comfortable. I would be more then happy to give you her information, just email me and I can get that to you !! Hope you have a great time traveling !!!

Thumbs up Re: Traveling alone, need advice!

Hi
    I'll be starting my firt travel assignment in a couple of weeks. I'm excited but also nervous. Any advice would be helpful. I'm a late bloomer what can I say. All advice gratifully accepted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast