Thread: GSA per diem rates

GSA per diem rates

I have been traveling for 3 1/2 years and I am getting mixed answers about the GSA per diem rates and can't understand why I don't see all that money in my pocket. I understand that companies have to make money too, but I am assuming the per diem money is supposed to go to the one traveling away from home.

For instance, I am on an assignment an get a flat rate, taxed and housing supplied to me. Did I forfeit that perdiem money when I took the flat rate and housing? If so, why? I am still not given the meals and incidentals money that it lists. Also, is my company getting the money above the rent they are paying for my apartment?

Could someone please explain it to me?

Re: GSA per diem rates

Hi, I can try to help...To answer your first question, you can't receive housing AND get a housing stipend. That would be considered "double dipping". I don't know how your current contract is spelled out etc, but for us (TNS) we could draw up a contract to pay an hourly rate (taxable), with housing and the M&I rate for whatever that amount should be in that area. The stipends are split between "lodging" and "meals/incidentals". We customize the pay package however you wish (legally). Companies do not "receive" the stipend monies. The stipends are simply how much can be passed to you "non taxed". Your housing is paid (in TNS' case) out of the bill rate. In other words, we don't receive the stipends to pay your housing-that's not how it works. If you need further explanation just give me a call. I don't mind explaining how this all works. "Tax Advantage" pay packages are pretty popular and we have many nurses opting for this set up. But either way, a good recruiter should be able to spell out pay package in every way. We always show as many options possible, based on what you need, so you can make the best decision for you. I hope this helps a little? Please don't hesitate to call, I really don't mind to clear anything up, thanks!
    Randy Gray, Recruiter
    Travel Nurse Solutions (TNS)
    2871 Acton Rd
    Suite 201
    Birmingham, Alabama 35243
    888-300-5132 phone
    888-300-5136 fax

www.JacksonNursing.com
    Email me: randy@tnsnurse.com
    Join my LinkedIn network: http://www.linkedin.com/in/randyegray

thanks to both of you for the reply. I do understand I can't get housing paid and the stipend; what I don't understand so much is if I get the max amount in stipend, why does the hourly rate become so low or high pay rate and low stipend? I guess travelers just can't have both? I think that the perdiem rates need to be higher than just 40 or 60% even if the pay rate is $30+ or higher. It is the traveler who is away from family that needs that extra incentive to travel.

Thanks again

That is correct. You have to think of it this way, That is your Total compensation package. Based on the bill rate, TNS gives you the most we can. It's the same if the pay package was $35hr with Housing and Travel. If you said Randy, I need a rental car...I would adjust the Hourly to fit the car into the pay package. Essentially, I have to adjust something else to fit it in--one way may be to lower the hourly rate so the car fits. Another way might be to keep the hourly the same, but find cheaper housing.
    Same thing goes for the stipend package. I have to adjust the hourly rate so that the stipend amount will fit the margin. As a note, Our Margin never changes. TNS's profit margins do not change whether you take a "standard" package or "stipend" option. Another thing you may be stuck on is this (i'm just guessing 'cause lots of nurses I speak to think this way), the housing budget and housing stipends are 2 different things. Our housing budgets are a lot lower than the actual housing stipends for an area. Many nurses think that we are using that stipend dollar amount (as a budget) to pay for their housing when in reality it is something much lower. My housing budget may be $1300/mth for one particular area, but the stipend might actually be $1000/week. So like the car example, if you wanted the stipend instead of the Housing, I have to adjust something else. Hope this helps?
    Randy Gray, Recruiter
    2871 Acton Rd
    Suite 201
    888-300-5132 phone
    888-300-5136 fax

www.JacksonNursing.com

Thanks. So a bill rate has to cover everything, hourly rate and stipends or housing, etc. But the nurses are not aware of what the bill rate might be, only what is given to us in our contract. Just in talking to other travelers at different facilities, it appears different companies get different bill rates in the same facility, since the nurses in the same hospital may be paid differently for the same shift, etc. So, I guess it is up to the traveler to seek out those companies who are getting the highest bill rates and passing along the higher rates to us.

yes I would suggest shopping around. We are getting into another animal talking about bill rates. Bill rates can definitely differ in the same facility. But at the same time, even if bill rates were the same for 2 agencies in a facility, you may still get 2 different hourly rates. Thats because of one company's gross margin or it may depend on the housing cost etc over another agency. Facilities can also dictate so many other things such as free orientation hours, etc etc.
    Randy Gray, Recruiter
    2871 Acton Rd
    Suite 201
    888-300-5132 phone
    888-300-5136 fax

www.JacksonNursing.com