Thread: Nursing Path Question

Nursing Path Question

Hello Everyone,

Just want to start out by saying hello as this is my first post.

Anyway, I have been accepted to start my ADN program next fall and am very excited about finally getting into medicine. I will be 31 when I start the ADN program but I have a BS in Biology so I am hoping most of the sciences will come back and make the transition back into school easier.

My question is how does nursing work once you have your ADN? I know that I will have to pass the start nursing licence exam, but where do you go after that.

Just looking for some general advice on how the system works as I look forward to switching careers.

Thanks,

Chris H.

Welcome!

And congratulations on your acceptance to the ADN program

After you graduate you get a work permit that allows you to work until you take your NCLEX. Your title at that point is going to be GN...once you pass it will be RN.

There are an abundance of places that employ GNs. I started looking for a job a few months before graduating. Of course, back in them days you used to have to wait for months to take the NCLEX after graduating and still a few weeks more after you took it to find out if you passed. These days everything is computerized and you get almost instant results.

Good luck and best wishes!

Re: Nursing Path Question

Regardless of the nursing program you're in, graduation from an accredited program, makes you eligable to sit for nursing boards. Passing boards allows you to work as an RN. Before you take boards, you may work as a GN or graduate nurse (usually hired and given a lesser salary until you pass boards). Hospitals usually recruit new grads before they even graduate. Frequently, the hospitals where you do your clinical rotations will hire you.
    Depends upon your interest, you may want a more advanced degree. Usually the management positions require at least a BSN, teaching positions require an MSN minimum.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, feel free to send me a post. I've been a nurse for 27 years. Started with a diploma degree, obtained my BSN and am currently working on my MSN/NP.