Thread: Career Information

Career Information

Hello, my name is Colleen. I am currently a senior in High school. I need career information on any kind of nursing job. I am doing a senior research paper, which consists of finding and researching a job you are interested in. I've been intrested in nursing for awhile. Im sure that many of you that come here are in the nursing field?...I was wondering if you'd be so kind to post about any kind of information you might have, like what you do, salary, how much you make a month, thanks. And if you do reply would you be so kind to atleast leave your first name thanks, just in case i use your information i need some sort of rescoure for my bibliography. Thanks again!
    Colleen

Re: Career Information

Why hasn't anyone replied to my questions? Is this not a real Nursing forum? Are any of you even Nurses? Please I really need help. Thanks again.

Hi Colleen, There isn't much activity here right now. Don't take it personal. I have been an RN for 8 years. My starting pay was $16.00 as a graduate nurse. I now make $21.00/hr plus $1.50 for working 3-11 shift. I am currently working on a medical floor in a west Texas hospital.We see everything from pneumonia to Aids. Hope this helps. Jerrie

Thanks Jerrie. If you ever come back to this, could you please tell me about the schooling you had to go through, what kind of classes you've taken. Thanks again.

Hi Colleen. Took the regular basics English, Math, History, Biology, Micro and Anatomy and Physiology. They were pre-requisites. That was 13 years ago. I have an Associates Degree. I hear Speech and Chemistry are required now. I think pre-requisites can be different from state to state. I got my LVN first. That took 12 months and the only pre-requisite was a high school diploma. I went to RN school during the day and worked as an LVN from 3-11. That help?
    Jerrie

it's great that you want to be a nurse I can't think of a career that I would rather do. I have only been a nurse for one year. I'm an LPN. I am paid hourly I make $18.00 per hour. each week is different with the amount d/t insurance and how many hours I work. I am a unit supervisor in charge of all the medications and general health of 24 resident's on a critical care unit. I have 3 nursing assistances that I supervise. I don't really know what else to tell you.
    my e-mail adress is dmx_nurse@yahoo.com if you need any help with anything else,

good luck,

Jennifer Coltson, LPN

Hi Colleen,

How about some basic, but good info? I've been a nurse for 27 years and started as a diploma grad, got my BSN about 2 years ago and am currently working on my masters.

There are 3 kinds of schools (not counting the route of LVN to RN). I originally went to a diploma school. That's a school run by the hospital....essentially take only the nursing info and receive no college credit. It takes 2-3 years to complete this type of program. They (the diploma degrees) have been phased out. I'm not sure there are even any left open. The other options are AD or BSN degrees (a 2 or 4 year program). It doesn't matter which type of program you attend or what your grades are. After graduation from an accredited program, you are qualified to sit for nursing boards. EVERYONE must take and pass nursing boards. It does not matter which type of program has been attended, the same nursing baords are taken.

There are MANY advantages and disadvantages to being a nurse.
    Work schedules can be both. Most hospital nurses work 12 hours shifts now. They work 3 days/week, including every other weekend. So you have 4 days/week off. No one ever said people can't get sick on holidays and the hospitals are open 24/7. So, you work holidays and weekends, kids days off and year round. However, there are day and night shifts. ( I worked 7pm-7am for 15 years while my son grew up....advantage? He was never home alone. Dad was with him over night, I was home when he got home from school and was able to be room mother every year as I was one of the few moms home during the day).
    Pay also good and bad. Good....solid, and dependable. Can always get a job and go to work. Bad....I've made the same salary for the past 12 years. After about 10 years when you reach the top of the pay scale, there is no more money. But there are options for this too.
    There are many places other than hospitals to work. School nurses work only when school is in session. Drs offices are open various days and times as are surgery centers and home health usually works only days. Some nurses have mandatory on call time (surgery).
    I can go to work anywhere. Although you have a license by state, there is "lateral transfer" in a manner of speaking.....just apply for a license in the state to which you wish to work. (Many jobs - like law enforcement do not have this option-they must go to school over regardless of the amount of experience they have).

Colleen, I could go on forever(but have to go to the office)! Hope this helps and please feel free to contact me privately. I still love my job after all these years and have a plethera of info! I check this forum daily and will probably do so again later today. Always check my regular email several times a day my email is mercynurse62@hotmail.com.

Bonnie Avonrude

Thanks for all the infromation guys.