Thread: Prospective jobs

Prospective jobs

This is geared toward current nurses, but I'm sure this is really helpful anyone even considering getting into a career in nursing. I'm a freshman in a University nursing program currently, and just wanted some advice.

Anyway, when looking into current jobs in many areas across the U.S., many hospitals are asking for a year or two of experience, which is somewhat scary to me, considering many are saying going into nursing would guarantee me a job. I'm a guy, and want to work in the ER or geriatrics. I mean I thought I'd be able to write my ticket.

However, in looking for summer jobs and internships to get my foot in that door, but I'm not sure the best route to do that, if necessary, even. I've considered getting my EMT-B certification, getting a job as a phlebotomist, or even just working as a cook or janitor in a local hospital just make my resume look better. I've also considered volunteering with the American Red Cross to get some free training and experience, but I'm wondering if any of this would be worth working toward. All I want is a great job out of college! Are my parents making me paranoid, or is this really something I should work toward in the current job state? Thanks for the advice!

-Andrew

Re: Prospective jobs

Additionally, if it's really necessary, what are other entry-level jobs that I could consider? I'm just looking for part-time stuff. I'm taking 17 credit hours per semester, and that alone is taxing. I'd like some free time if at all possible.

Member Extraordinaire

I was a pharmacy technician during college. I am currently an ER nurse, and I think the best experience for you would be as an EMT. This will look the best on your resume if you want to go into ER. Even working as an EMT on a volunteer rescue squad will be great experience. Also, most rescue squads have a pretty good relationship with the ER staff at the hospitals they go to, so that will also be a great networking opportunity. Many ER's hire EMT's to work on staff as well. What area do you live in?
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I live in the Indianapolis area, but by all means I'd be fine with relocating or doing the travel nurse thing out of college.

Ricu

Hi Andrew,

I agree wholeheartedly with Amanda's recommendation because I had first hand experience; was an EMT with a volunteer rescue squad and the connections were strong with the ED. Another avenue would be getting CNA certified. You could potentially work in the ED with this training too, but definitely anywhere else in the hospital or LTC center if that is of interest. I would think that Indianapolis is metro enough to offer very good work opportunities but if you get frustrated and want to relocate, things may be better on either coast. I'm on the east coast and while not abundant, nursing jobs are out there and the new grads are getting hired. Recent grads will tell you that especially now, getting that first nursing job out of school is very challenging but once you land it and gain a year or so of experience, you will essentially be able to write your own ticket.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

R

Wow, this discussion is really helping me. I'm learning great ideas in here and I'm sure excited to try my first hands-on experience as a nurse as soon as I graduate. Thanks guys.
    Jane Phillis
    HTML Code:
    http://www.satisfieddegree.com