Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Quote Originally Posted by stacyL View Post
    Also, these male nurses are taking jobs away from women. Women are barred or harrassed in so many male professions. Women have had to fight for their rights. Why should men have it so easily - venturing into a female dominated profession. I cringe at the thought of male nurses. There are bad nurses men and women but I would rather work with, be helped by a female nurse over a male nurse anyday.
    I think the jobs should go to the best person, male or female. So if male applicants happen to look better to employers, it isn't a matter of men taking jobs away from females. Same difference if a woman is looking to apply to Medical School, etc. It is up to the school to decide who to accept.

I'm at work to do a job, take care of my patients as best I can. Being a male/female shouldn't factor into it as long as I carry my weight.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

stacyL, you have a right to your opinion. I'll go one step further; if a woman wants to be in Combat Arms I say more power to her, too.

... just saying all things being equal ;-D

Exclamation Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Quote Originally Posted by stacyL View Post
    This is a forum/thread to post one's opinions so I will. Everyone has their own opinions which vary. My opinion is that women have had to tolerate gender bias for centuries. Why should men be any different? They know that nursing has been a female profession for years.
    Personally, I am from the old school. I am not used to male nurses. It turns my stomach literally. This comment will bother people but my opinion is just as valid as opposing/popular/politically correct responses.
    Men have so many sexual issues, detachment issues, not all but generally. Many are coming into the profession for easy money as some women but generally women are nurturers while typically men are not. Look at how many men are deadbeat dads and sex offenders...mostly men if you're honest. Who was the nurse killer in NJ again a man.
    I know they are intelligent enough to learn how to be a nurse and perform as a nurse but there are other facets of nursing.
    Also, these male nurses are taking jobs away from women. Women are barred or harrassed in so many male professions. Women have had to fight for their rights. Why should men have it so easily - venturing into a female dominated profession. I cringe at the thought of male nurses. There are bad nurses men and women but I would rather work with, be helped by a female nurse over a male nurse anyday.
    Pummel me now if you wish but I have the courage to stand by my convictions.
    JAN 2006 is when the above was posted. In fact, stacyL has not posted on this site since JAN 2006. So much for her courage to stand by her convictions. Who chased her off the site, anyway? THANK YOU!!!

Since this was posted over four years ago I will waste no further time here.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    JAN 2006 is when the above was posted. In fact, stacyL has not posted on this site since JAN 2006. So much for her courage to stand by her convictions. Who chased her off the site, anyway? THANK YOU!!!

Since this was posted over four years ago I will waste no further time here.
    Ah, hell! Just when it was getting good! :nurse-rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Ah, hell! Just when it was getting good! :nurse-rofl:
    LOL, Cat I was ready to do some heavy moderation... then I found out stacyL came & gone four years ago.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

This still sounds like an interesting thread.

Save the heavy artillery, eh?

Facebook User

regarding Stacy's post: If men can do as good a job or better in the field as women can, than they should do it. She's not old school. She's an old fool.

On a lighter note. my class had NSNA elections this past week. Two positions went to guys. If that inspires you guys at all. My class has 56 students and only 9 of them are male.....

Laura, that's awesome that the guys got elected!

FYI, I remember reading where the 'original' nurses were men, esp. during the Crusades. etc. I do believe there is a post to that effect somewhere......

Cool Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    regarding Stacy's post: If men can do as good a job or better in the field as women can, than they should do it. She's not old school. She's an old fool.

On a lighter note. my class had NSNA elections this past week. Two positions went to guys. If that inspires you guys at all. My class has 56 students and only 9 of them are male.....
    Thanks LauraP, that brought a smile to my face... "she's an old fool".

Congrats to your male classmates on the newly elected NSNA positions.

Please, post up here often.

I would advise all individuals, regardless of gender, to leave nursing if they are already in the same and to advise everyone else not to enter nursing. Why? The health care industry, with the assistance of the US Federal government, has utilized both overt and covert means to maintain poor working conditions, poor job security, and poor pay for nurses. Such means include the wide spread utilization of foreign born nurses through H1B and other programs and other employment practices. This hostile, oppressive, and conspiratorial attitude by the health care industry towards nurses is, of course, responsible for the "nursing shortage." It represents an elitist, oppressive, and selfish attitude by the health care industry that has not only manifested itself against nurses but also against other health care professionals and the American public. The current debate over health care has brought to the front the political power, the monopolistic character of, and the Machiavellian attitude of the health care industry. As long as the aforementioned has not been addressed by appropriate legislation nurses will be regarded as dispensable tools by the health care industry and not professionals worthy of respect, a rewarding career, and professional development.
    I have, in prior posts, addressed my concerns with regard to men in nursing. I am somewhat gratified by the fact that the percentage of men in nursing is increasing.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast