Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

[ QUOTE ]
    lastchanceatidiocy said:Mobile hydraulics would deal with small hydraulic equipment such as: single stage hydraulic cylinders, logsplitters, 12v power packs for snow ploughs, smaller older farm tractors, house and building jacks, or just hydraulics for the common man.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is the stuff you see them use on Monster Garage? Pretty cool what can be done with hydraulics. Are you a fabricator?

O_S

I think nursing in general is viewed as a lesser profession and might contribute to some of the male stigma associated with it.

Pretty cool what can be done with hydraulics. Are you a fabricator?

I do not fabricate the crazy stuff like they do on monster garage. My favorite part of the job is doing all the math that is involved, and system design itself. It is more stuff a small business or a property owner would use.

There is a lot of problem solving involved. It is cool to see what people will strap a hydraulic system to. Some of it is downright ridiculous, and dangerous. The way people treat hydraulics, like it is nothing, no danger at all. They feel for leaks with their bare hands. The best is when they want me to fix an old beaten up hose. They would rather pay $20 to fix a decrepid old hose, than $30 to get a new one. The dummies they put a value of a whole $10 on their lives. At least I will look out for them.

On that note, I was wondering if you people ever see a lot of oil induction accidents. I got some cool pictures of what they had to do to the accident victims, to keep them from dying.

Oil Induction Accident . . . is that like getting sprayed with hot oil at high pressure or is that having the whole deal blowup in your face. Which ever, that is definitly going to leave a mark. As for the pictures, if shortbus ever gets aroung to fixing this forum so we can upload avatars and pictures, yeah I'd like to see them. <Nag, nag, nag>

O_S

It is when oil gets injected into your body, usually a hand. If there is a small pinhole leak, and the oil is coming out under pressure, the velocity is so great that easily penetrates the skin. I have heard of couplings blowing off at high pressure. The hose is like a whip with a 1/2lb or so chunk of metal on the end of it. Needless to say, hospital visits are seldom necessary when this happens.

OK, oil injection. Subcutaneous abscess, necrosis, sloughing, localized (compartment syndrome). If oil works its way into the vascular compartment, embolism directly to the lungs. Is that in the ballpark? Or is there more?

O_S

Hmmm.

If you want to be treated like a man then start sounding like one. I'm sorry but your thread and your complaint sounds just like a woman. I like to be referred to as a "MALE" nurse. But I think your complaint has a little merit only due to the fact that the more males are in our occupation the more our salaries will increase. A simple fact. Want proof? Check out the salaries of male NP's compared to women. So tell me again, which side is the bias on? Sit back and enjoy being a man.

I am an E grade Critical Care Staff Nurse working in the largest Hospital in Wales. However, if I’d listened to my teachers at my high school I would not be doing this.

I was studying for my ‘A’ Levels and was filling in my UCAS form for university. I’d always wanted to be a nurse, indeed my grandmother was a nurse herself so it was no surprise to my family that I wanted to do this.

I was reasonably academic and studying ‘A” level Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Geology and ‘AS’ General Studies (a compulsory subject). I was predicted good grades and applied to the best Universities to undertake the Degree in Nursing - BN(Hons.), according to the informal chats I’d had with admission tutors encouraged me and I felt I had a good chance of getting in. All I had to do was pass my exams and get a good reference from my head of sixth form. I played rugby for my school, I was a British National Figure Skater I was pretty much an all rounder and was respected by my peers and teachers alike.

You can imagine my shock when my name was on the notice board to go and see the head of sixth. She told me, “I’ve reviewed your predicted grades etc. and feel that you can do better than being a nurse, they are only hand maidens, why don’t you do a science degree - or be a doctor. Nursing is not a career for a man. I cannot support this application.”

Without the reference from the head of sixth my UCAS application could not go forward. Therefore, I applied for various Biochemistry degree courses at 6 universities. I was offered places at all and took a place on the Joint Honours Biochemistry and Medical Biochemistry at Cardiff University.

This gave me a B.Med.Sc.(Hons.) and I went on to complete my M.Res. (masters in research) in Haematology. It was at this point I finally applied for my nursing degree. My lectures were surprised that I was going back to be an undergraduate and in nursing, but it was now 2000 and there shock was that I wanted to “start all over again” rather than go on to do a Ph.D.

I went to Swansea and started my nurse education and graduated with high honours. I made some very good friends on the course and in my cohort of 100 there were about 10 men. I only got a couple of remarks about being a man and I was fine with it.

I never say, when I’m asked what I do, I’m a male nurse. I say I’m a Nurse. I am one of 30 nurses whom are male in a unit of 150 nurses. This is a high proportion. I am, however, the only nurse (male and female) that is gay. This doesn’t really enter into my work. We have gay doctors and all my colleagues were surprised that I was gay - I was one of the lads - and it was only when I was met by my boyfriend of 9 years that anyone knew.

I love my job and I am proud to be a nurse. I am very luckly that I have never had to put up with discrimination and being called gay is not a problem for me because it is part of who I am. Though I understand when straight nurses that are male do get upset.

Thumbs up Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Hi all!

I have been in school for two years earning my A.S. and A.A. degree which I will complete in Fall, 2006. From there, I have been looking at three possible fields in medicine to get into and take the appropriate courses. I have done a LOT of research during the past 3 years into job stability, pay scales, and careers that will actually be something that I can count on. A former Computer Network Engineer of 20 years, I watched as my entire profession and industry was sold out by President Bush, NAFTA, and others to other countries where they could get cheaper labor. *I LOST EVERYTHING*! So, I decided to start my entire life over and go back to college and earn a degree in a field that was stable, Bush-proof, did not depend on a good economy, stock market proof, war or terrorism proof, would not be affected by NAFTA, offered good salaries and opportunities to grow and move forward and up, and that had great flexiability to be in demand whether I lived in a major metropolis or some small town in the middle of nowhere. The three areas that I found were: Medical Doctor, Physician's Assistant, and Nurse. As I continued to evaluate each field in a deeper and more thorough examination, I found that while M.D.'s make the most money, they rarely get to actually take it home with them. (Most of their income gets swallowed up in costs, insurance, and overhead) They also have too much stress, a hard home life, and the demand for doctors is actually NOT as high as the other two professions. In addition, it would take 4-8 years more of education than the other 2 proffessions and at my age, time IS a factor. So now I am looking towards the PA and the Nursing positions. Of the two, Nursing has by a large margin, more flexiability, greater career advancement, and is in more demand. (Although PA's usually make more money until you get to the NP level.) So after three years of all of this evaluating, I am down to one last little issue. I can clearly see that Nursing is the best field in medicine. But I am having a small problem with being called a "Male Nurse". I know I shouldn't. Perhaps it is the stereotypes that are shown on movies like "Meet the Fockers". So, I was searching the internet to see what other names could be used that sound more "manly" than Nurse. That is when I found this website. I have to admit that after reading dozens of posts about this subject, I can see that I was not alone in my thinking...HOWEVER... My view is definately flawed. There is nothing wrong with being male and being called a Nurse. The personal perspectives of many here have helped me to reshape my thinking about the term of "Nurse". As a man, I have learned that I can accept that title and not feel awkward as I thought, despite the historical stigma from society. With this final hangup out of the way, I feel that I can continue on to a MSN degree which is my next step after graduating this Fall. I just wanted to post a "Thank you" to all of you who have enlightened me on this issue. This forum needs to be advertised more! So off I go to become a .... medic... (j/k).... a NURSE!

Arrow Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

This is a forum/thread to post one's opinions so I will. Everyone has their own opinions which vary. My opinion is that women have had to tolerate gender bias for centuries. Why should men be any different? They know that nursing has been a female profession for years.
    Personally, I am from the old school. I am not used to male nurses. It turns my stomach literally. This comment will bother people but my opinion is just as valid as opposing/popular/politically correct responses.
    Men have so many sexual issues, detachment issues, not all but generally. Many are coming into the profession for easy money as some women but generally women are nurturers while typically men are not. Look at how many men are deadbeat dads and sex offenders...mostly men if you're honest. Who was the nurse killer in NJ again a man.
    I know they are intelligent enough to learn how to be a nurse and perform as a nurse but there are other facets of nursing.
    Also, these male nurses are taking jobs away from women. Women are barred or harrassed in so many male professions. Women have had to fight for their rights. Why should men have it so easily - venturing into a female dominated profession. I cringe at the thought of male nurses. There are bad nurses men and women but I would rather work with, be helped by a female nurse over a male nurse anyday.
    Pummel me now if you wish but I have the courage to stand by my convictions.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast