With regard to the Orwellian "New Sexual Puritanism","Sexual Harassment laws", and gender discrimination, while I was a combat soldier in the field in Vietnam, years before the aforementioned, we were very tolerant of individual personal and physical insult, using profanity very profusely (termed "Booney Talk"), getting into physical fights occasionally, laughing, screaming, lots of emotion, lot's of trust, lots of courage, lot's of individuality, and lot's of friendship! This is the antithesis of the feminine nursing environment in which all of the masculine traits present in a very masculine combat environment are clearly not tolerated by law and custom. Unfortunately, the same intolerance indicates that courage, humanity, tolerance itself, true friendship, and true equality are not tolerated in the female nursing environment in the name of Orwellian political correctness. This same Orwellian feminine environment tends to produce Orwellian pigs without a sense of self respect, courage, and respect for the rights of others. The decline of nursing as a profession has been, in part, resulted from the same. I am a male R.N. One must adopt the masculine combat culture to stand up for individual rights and the rights of the nursing profession as the same requires tolerance, courage, individuality, and respect for the rights of others (including patients).

LIFE is short, and Art long; the crisis fleeting; experience perilous, and decision difficult. The physician must not only be prepared to do what is right himself, but also to make the patient, the attendants, and externals cooperate. Hippocrates
:nurse-soapbox:

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
The only gender bias I have seen in my time is what constitutes harassment. The female staff call each other names that would get me called into the office. They touch each other where I would get into trouble if I even tried to do. My manager only tells me to report harassment if they do or say something that makes me uncomfortable. I'm sorry I can't do that. I don't say anything, if they start saying something I get up and leave and say , "this is getting to much for me to hear ." I would only advise male staff to be careful. Say sexually oriented things to only those you have a good relationship. That is they should say those things to you first and they say you can say anything to me if you want. I am just a fellow employee I am not a close friend to anyone. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are equal.