Okay, you'd think with the great press and ad campaigns that have been seen this past year, nursing associations and their executive directors would become more sensitive to gender biased statements being made to the press, but nooooooooo! Here's is a quote from a major newspaper (I'll leave nameless) by the Executive Director of that state's (which I'll also leave unnamed) nursing association. This isn't just any association either, it's the official state affiliate of the ANA. She said "...there is a severe shortage of nurses as women bypass the field...". It is high time that the ANA and each of its state members adopt a formal communication policy that agressively addresses the issue of gender bias in both print and written communications, statements, etc. Nursing is not a profession of, by, and for women. And while I'm at it, let me just say I really dislike the term "male nurse". I'm not a male nurse, I'm a nurse. When someone asks me what I do for a living, after 20 years, and I can finally say with great pride "I'm a nurse.". Listen, we don't say "female doctor" do we? It sure has a very different meaning that let's say a women who happens to be a cardiovascular surgeon, don't you think? So let's refer to ourselves as men educated in nursing if we must attach a gender statement.