Thread: Help

Question Help

I am interested in becoming a nurse. I have been employed at my current job (Bellsouth) since i graduated from high school 14 years ago. At the time i thought it was a good idea and i was not interested in attending college. I now feel that i no longer have a future with the company and i need a career not just a job. I have been researching information on the internet but it was a bit confusing to me. Everything was about fast track programs or RN to BSN or LPN to something. I would like advice on how to start from scratch-------do I choose an Associate program or Bachelor program and I even read something about an RN diploma. There are quite a few Nursing Schools/programs in my area (Atlanta) but again I am not sure which one to take. I plan on keeping my current job until I am done with school so I need something that will work around that but also not take me the rest of my life to finish..........Please advise as to what program would possibly be best for me

Smile Re: Help

Hi Brundi,

You're lucky that you live in an area with a good choice of schools that offer nursing degree programs. Since you aren't a nurse already just disregard the things you're seeing online about accelerated LPN to RN or RN to BSN programs because they only apply to folks who already have some sort of nursing license already and you will have to attend a campus based nursing program and not an online degree program to become a nurse.

So, what I'd suggest is checking out Peterson's Guide to Nursing Schools 2006 ed. at your library if you have the time, or buy a copy, and see how the local universities with nursing degree programs are rated.

I'd also suggest visiting the nursing department at the schools that interest you and asking them how long their waiting list is, what their NCLEX pass rate is, and any other questions you might have in general about the school itself etc..

There are several educational paths available to people interested in a nursing career, to wit;

1. LPN: A Licensed Practical Nurse is a technician who receives approx. 10 months of training at the vocational or junior college level and has a limited scope of practice under the supervision of registered nurses. LPN's also have limited work opportunities and very limited potential for any career advancement, but some choose this route for economic reasons or other personal reasons as an entry into nursing. Some remain LPN's and enjoy career satisfaction throuout their working days and others go on later to attain a nursing degree and become RN's.

2. Associate Degree Nurse: Has a college degree (A.S.N.) and receives approximately three years of college or university education in well rounded basic subjects, sciences, as well as nursing core subjects and also hands on experiences in various nursing clinical rotations. Upon successful graduation and passing the NCLEX exam is able to practice as a Registered Nurse.

3. BSN Nurse: Has completed a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (generally 4 - 5 years) . In addition to the course of study Associate Degree Nurses take the BSN prepared nurse goes on to take more management courses, community health, and a bit of expanded study in other nursing areas. This degree level is proposed to become the "entry level degree" for professional nursing practice. Also called a Registered Nurse upon graduation and passing the NCLEX, but entitled to use the designation BSN, RN (or RN, BSN) and has greater career advancement potential in the long run than the Associate Degree prepared RN.

Whatever course you decide to take will be the one that works best for you in your own circumstances, and that will be the right way for you.

Hope that helps some
    Best wishes on whatever you choose