Thread: Policy for when the tech should scrub

Angry Policy for when the tech should scrub

Today in my OR one of the techs didn't not want to scrub prior to the patient entering the room. I work in an Ambi part of the OR. I wanted her to scrub before I brought the patient in.

This escalated into her arguing with me. She is experienced, but it still takes me away from the patient.

I believe we have a policy that states the tech must be scrubbed prior to the patient entering. We as the circulator, need to count, give medications etc. Her not scrubbing until after the patient enters, takes me away from patient care.

She NOR my management seem to care about this.

From what I can remember, AORN has a policy that also states this. I've searched the AORN site but can't find it.

Do any of you work in and OR that does not require this? Do the techs give you a hard time. Does your OR have a policy for this situation.

Red face Re: Policy for when the tech should scrub

First, wanted to welcome you to the site. I don't work in the OR, but I agree with you on this. It just seems to make sense to me. Sounds like a disciplinary problem to me. This person seems to be engaged in passive aggressive behavior that needs to be addressed by the manager. As you stated, it is drawing you away from your duties. Do not let this slide. One way or the other, there should be a written policy and your complaints may bring one about.

Re: Policy for when the tech should scrub

Thank you for the welcome. I just found this site today! Still trying to figure out things.

They don't care. I see no reason why I'm in trouble. I'm a "troublemaker" because I DO give patient care and won't be bullied by the doctors.I've reported incidents to the higher management ALL for the betterment of the place....but they just want to get rid of me. I'll be looking for a job very soon.

I've been well respected for almost my entire career until here......they just want me to shut up and do as they say. I will not I am a Nurse first! I give Nursing care.

Thanks again, I'm just so upset.

Re: Policy for when the tech should scrub

The staff dynamics are very unique in the OR. I no longer work in the OR but did so for 3 yrs as a CST & 6 yrs as an OR RN. I enjoyed scrubbing in, even as an RN. However, as you know the OR RNs primary role is the Circulator. I eventually came to hate being a Circulator. The scrub techs can be very demanding, especially the one's the surgeons become comfortable with and request for on their cases. The surgeons bring $$$ to the hospital. Therefore, the OR management usually goes out of their way to please the surgeons.

Sorry, but does not really matter regards to the AORN Standards. I know that sounds wrong, in many ways, but check your OR Policies. However, never, ever compromise your nursing license, i.e. consent forms must always be signed, and before the first incision is made the surgeon should check with the Circulator regards to the correct incision site. We use to call that a time out when we ALL verified correct incison site PRIOR to the "cut".

My specialty since leaving the OR has been critical care. Overall I'm much happier. In the ICU an RN as far more autonomy compared to in the OR.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN