Thread: Need Advice asap!

Need Advice asap!

I am an RN in California who was just informed that I was being put on 'investigative leave' because of my record for signing out/wasting drugs. I am innocent and have not taken anything, however do admit that the culture of the busy ICU I work in has fostered my inadequate charting. My question is, is there any way to be found innocent of this charge and to avoid any action being taken on my license? Or if you are suspected, does your workplace automatically complain about you to the BRN? I am in the process of obtaining a lawyer but was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has been through this process and might have some helpful advice, because I am FREAKING OUT...

Thanks!!!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Need Advice asap!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerRN View Post
    I am an RN in California who was just informed that I was being put on 'investigative leave' because of my record for signing out/wasting drugs. I am innocent and have not taken anything, however do admit that the culture of the busy ICU I work in has fostered my inadequate charting. My question is, is there any way to be found innocent of this charge and to avoid any action being taken on my license? Or if you are suspected, does your workplace automatically complain about you to the BRN? I am in the process of obtaining a lawyer but was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has been through this process and might have some helpful advice, because I am FREAKING OUT...

Thanks!!!
    If you are innocent get a lawyer and make sure you rights are to "Due Process." are not violated. Just make you that you get a lawyer who is familiar with nurses licensing issues as many lawyers out there witll just advise you to do whatever the BON says.

On another note - you should never be to busy to take the time to chart properly - Proper charting will save you Donkey's behind in the event of a lawsuit or even a question with regard to controlled substances. Remember if something isn't charted it wasn't done as far as the law in concerned.
    You need to find a way to manage your time so that you can chart properly .

Lastly - and mind you I'm not saying you have a problem or are guilty of anything - but if you think you have a problem with drugs, alcohol or any mental health issue you need to get help right away as these problems never go away by themselves and always get worse over time.

Good luck to you -

Hppy

Many a day I had to stay over to complete my charting. Better to finish charting while off the clock and sitting in an inner office, than to leave something that might be totally forgotten. When a big investigation started up in one of my facilities, I was glad that my charting was thorough, as pointed out to me by the supervisors when they talked to me about the problem.