Thread: Back into nursing questions?

Talking Back into nursing questions?

Hey there all! I am new to this forum and have a very important question. I have been out of active nursing for about 6 years now as I went into business on my own. I miss nursing and want to get back into it but I have not kept up my license of course. What do I need to do to get back into it? Refresher courses? Retake the exam? Anyone that can help me would be great! Thanks a bunch!

Smile Re: Back into nursing questions?

Welcome to the site. You need to contact your state Board to find out the requirements to get your license back. How long has your license been expired? You never placed it in inactive status? If in inactive status, all you have to do is complete your CEUs and send in the fee. If you let it expire, and it has been expired for longer than four years in my state (CA), you don't have a license anymore and you will have to reapply and take the NCLEX again. You need to contact your Board to see what the rules are in your state. Hope you don't have to retake the NCLEX. The format changed on April 1.

Wink Re: Back into nursing questions?

I am in NC (was in SC when I last worked as an RN) but I basically let it expire I guess because once I started my business I never looked back. It has been since 2004 since I worked as an RN. I contacted my state board but have yet to hear back from them so this is why I tried here to see if I could get some direction. Taking the NCLEX probably won't be too bad but if I have to go back to school for anything, that would stink.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Back into nursing questions?

They've changed the NCLEX twice since I took the RN boards. (I know I posted the story somewhere here.....) It's supposed to be pretty hard.

You'll probably need a refresher course.