Thread: Next Step!!

Next Step!!

Hello everyone

Well the time is finally here I graduating nursing school in 3 weeks and i must say i'm very excited. I am getting ready to sign up for a date to take the NCLEX and i was wondering did anyone have any advice for me on the best way to study for such a BIG test! I am very nervous about it and our instructor also told us they made it a little tougher this year :-( And i am also starting to get really nervous about get out on my own and getting a Job!. For me it's something about not having my instructors there as my security that is scaring me. I'm wondering if these types of feelings are normal or am I just weird! It's just a lot going right now and i am having a thesaurus of emotions! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Next Step!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    Hello everyone

Well the time is finally here I graduating nursing school in 3 weeks and i must say i'm very excited. I am getting ready to sign up for a date to take the NCLEX and i was wondering did anyone have any advice for me on the best way to study for such a BIG test! I am very nervous about it and our instructor also told us they made it a little tougher this year :-( And i am also starting to get really nervous about get out on my own and getting a Job!. For me it's something about not having my instructors there as my security that is scaring me. I'm wondering if these types of feelings are normal or am I just weird! It's just a lot going right now and i am having a thesaurus of emotions! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
    Yeah, those feelings are normal. TRUST me!

You know, the Boards have undergone at LEAST 2-3 incarnations in the approx. 6 years I took Boards. I'd used the NCLEX 3000 for my study guide. Last I heard, they have drop down menus.... I would say use a good computer program.

Oh, and get a good nights sleep before the Big Day.

Vent away when you need to. I understand we have another test taker soon, too: LivingDead Nurse.

Ricu

Re: Next Step!!

Yes, the dreaded NCLEX. Every graduation season candidates are warned about the intensity and pitfalls and I suppose it's right for instructors to do so, but I really think the only thing that comes of their preperatory speeches is anxiety and loss of confidence.

Maybe this doesn't help, but I firmly believe that any graduate of an ANA approved nursing program has learned everything needed to be able to pass the NCLEX. Period. Below is my two cents on the subject. First, congratulations! You made it! Way to go! Now, take a breath. Take a week off. Do not think about nursing at all. Once you come back somewhat decompressed, lay out a plan.

The first thing to understand is that the biggest issue around this exam is strategy and not the knowledge being tested. Just like for the SAT/ACT exams, dissecting the question leads to the answer. Don't cram, practice test taking. See if a few of your fellow graduates want to work with you on this, each get a different "How to survive the NCLEX study guide" with practice exam DVD and share them. Forget the book, load the test. Don't worry about your score, having exposure to the questions and getting de-sensitized is what is needed so answer every single one. Do this and you will be ready. Go to bed early the night before and on test day, get up early. Eat a really good-for-your-brain breakfast, but leave caffeine to a minimum. Your nerves will need no extra stimulation. Get back to us after and let us know how it went.

Good luck,

R