Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ER Discussions

Re: ER Discussions

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been following this forum for some time before deciding to sign up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's about time!

(glad you decided to sign up)

Laura, Is'nt this the truth! I can smell that" GI bleed smell" too.I have been an ER nurse for 18 year's,and get frustrated at the DR's.They might learn a thing or two if they would listen to the seasoned nurses and our little gut feeling's about symptom's etc. I have learned to put my ego aside lately and just take care of my patient's ,work hard,go home and leave it at the hospital.It is hard to do but is called survival in ER nursing. This is something that comes with time and experience -Humility. As long as the patient does not suffer, I have learned to not let it affect me,what other nurses and doctor's think about me. Trusting your instinct is very true!!!I have alway's had"a feeling"before anything bad happen's to my patient's,regardless of their symptom's sometimes. It is real important to listen to this inner warning. I actually worked with a doc.last assignment that valued all of the nurses input in all crashes and trauma's ,He would ask for any suggestion's from all of us involved and if indicated,we would do it.It was very fulfilling to work in a group effort,and good for self esteem as well.We also learned from each other like this and nobody was put down for any input. This was Comanche Co.Hospital,Okla.Dr.Hall.Great asset to his profession!

Do any of you have any great ER JOB'S to recommend in California?I am on the hunt for next assignment.I will appreciate any input from you more experience travelor's.I also value any recommendations regarding any ER'S.

I was the type of man that would gag when changing my kids dippers. Any ways, I had a little old lady with a SBO. She was vomiting copious amounts of stool that stunk so bad and crying. I started to gag and gag. Well I finely just looked at this poor old ladies face and started to cry with her. I hugged her holding the emesis basin under her chin as she cried.

You know ever since that episode, I no longer gag with fowl smells

Hello everyone! This is my first time here, sounds like an interesting place. I'm an RN and work in a level II trauma center. I've been a nurse 22 years, some on med surg, some ICU, some home health (BORING). I've been in ER going on 11 years and I love it! I can't see myself doing anything else! Well, anyway, just wanted to say hi! Thanks!
    Susan

Anonymous

HI to you to.. Stop by often... Keep us posted on your thoughts,ideas, and vent if ya need to..What are friends for..Anyway.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I work in an ER that sees an average of 70,000/year. I know all about burn out. I left my ER for a year to work overseas and when I came back I couldn't believe the mood of the place. People were snappish, looked tired and rarely had positive things to say about anything. The sad part is it didn't take me long to get sucked into that mentality regardless of how hard I fought it. I love ER nursing but the frustration level gets to a point where you want to say really bad things!! Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do as nursing is no longer my passion. I even tried teaching at the university affiliated with my hospital but the instructors there were even worse. I think that when the thought of going to work makes you feel tired it's time to get out. I've travelled a lot and am thinking about relocating permanently overseas. I feel for the new grads entering the ER field - it's a lot to adapt to and if you don't have the supports in place it's more than overwhelming.

Regarding legality and trauma tapes. If the attorney finds out your hospital made the tapes they can supoena the tapes and use them during trial. Even if the hospital tells you they are destroyed BE SURE THEY ARE !!! I am a legal nurse consultant and there was a case I was involved with where the husband taped the delivery of his son....one which went horribly wrong..and there the whole thing was on tape for his attorney ! I would ask the hospital/ER director for some clear written guidelines and policies regarding the tapes and their use. Even if they are used for QI or educational purposes, they are discoverable by an attorney.

Sue (the long lost moderator of this group)

Hi Jill...the problems I am having are...#1 New Grads/Baby Nurses hired and staffing the ED. (minimal or no experience) #2 The lack of retention of senior nurses. (lose the experience and what do you have?) #3 Poor morale-feelings of frustration with the increased numbers of patients (multi-issue of non-insured, illegal aliens, use of ER as Primary doctor) I recently began a career as a traveler just so I don't have to get involved in politics that won't change anyway.
    Hope some of this helps.

i worked in an er where they did this taping also. i thought it was the best thing , i have even suggested it to other hospitals where i have worked since then, my understanding is ONLY the medical director of the er sees them, and this is sort of like incidents reports they are ONLY to educate and assist in performance of the next time you are involved not to punish you , they are only in the "code" room they also help out if the nurses say certain md's or nurses arent qualified or are ugly towards their collegues during such episodes, i love the idea if i dont do anything wrong and it is used as planned (to educate not punish) then they are great...i just wish i could have seen them then i could improve if needed,,,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast