Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ER Discussions

ER Discussions

We have created this form specifically for ER discussions, topics and stories. We hope you find it useful. Be the first to share your stories and experience.

Re: ER Discussions

Ok where are all my fellow ER nurses?? I hope we can get a lively ongoing bunch of topics being discussed here & I'm going to check daily, so come on & pop in!

I love ER nursing. After NICU, ICU, teaching, being a flight nurse and a DON, I can honestly say ER is my love. (not the TV show... well, on second thought that Dr Kovak is good looking.. but... ahem)

So how about introducing yourself as you post...
    like how long you've been an ER nurse, are you at a trauma center or regular ER.. a teaching hospital or whatever.. ok?

OK I'll go first...here's the problem and I'd like a few thoughts...first a little background.
    I'm a female nurse, have been for years and my significant other is a male nurse for the past 7 years. He recently ran into a situation that I'm sure a female would never encounter and when he first told me about it, I was ready to blow it off as stupid....but it's not....here goes.

He works in a large,trauma ER. A female nurse (fairly new grad with little experience) recently came to him and asked for help disempacting a female pt. She'd never done it and didn't know how to.He went to the room with her, demonstrated the procedure and thought all was done...
    The following shift, He was notified that the patient called adm and complained that she'd been sexually violated by the male nurse! Fortunately, the female nurse had remained in the room beside him and can testify otherwise, but...
    If she notifies the police he can be arrested....if she purseues the allegations he will be suspended from the hospital until it's settled and will be unalbe to work...
    I can't believe this whole situation...he says it can even happen several months down the road...now every time the doorbell rings or he goes to work he feels like this is hanging over his head...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'll take all the help I can get! Thanks.

Anonymous

Hi, I guess I should register. I am an RN, ER Coordinator of a small hospital.

As far as your dilemma goes, I wouldn't think that they would arrest him--especially with the nature of the problem, an order was given, and another nurse was in the room with him. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't. Hang in there.

Thanks for your support! Actually everything is OK...
    The hospital stuck by him. The director of ER and risk manager spoke with the female nurse who was with him, then contacted the patient.
    She said she must have been mistaken if the female nurse was with him.
    A real load off of our minds.

mercynurse I've been tied up working on Medi-Smart the past few days from dawn till dusk and missed your post until just now. I'm so relieved the hospital handled the situation the right way! Is your husband still feeling rather shaken up about the whole thing?

Hi anon! Register & tell us about your ER!

Actually, he was so relieved that the hospital took pro active measures he feels very positive about the entire thing. Thanks goodness they did! it's nice to know the facility was willing to stand behind him.
    Thanks for the support we appreciate it!

Anonymous

our emergency department is going to be taping traumas. does any one else do this?? what is done with tapes?? they say they will be destroyed in 3 days, but what if they aren't??? can they be held as evidence in a legal issue. we are not excited about being on tape at all,and the legal issues are very real to us. the admin. tells us not to worry, but that is small comfort to those of us who will be seen and heard on tape. any thoughts??????????

thanks
    ellen in maine

Hi ellen & welcome to the ER Nursing Forum!
    What reason did your department give you all for taping the trauma cases? The ONLY reasons I can think of are for teaching purposes.. (are you in a university teaching hospital?).. or for legal purposes to cover their tushes. I can't imagine them just taping & then "destroying the tapes in 3 days" and heck yes, those tapes would be excellent evidence in case of a malpractice suit. They might be excellent protection for the nurses & other staff too though you know? What are the powers that be saying their purpose is supposed to be??

Sara

Anonymous

I am using this for the first time and checking to see what is of interest to other ER nurses. It is my favorite area of nursing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast