Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ER Discussions

Re: ER Discussions

Just surfing and noticed the discussion re new grads in ER.
    I was a RPN(LPN) for 14 yrs in geriatrics and psych, and am now working on a medical surgical floor as a RN. I have to respond to a call tomorrow re an open ER position. I'm afraid if I get too comfortable where I'm at, I will never have the courage to try something more. My kids are grown, I single parented for 16 yrs, 4 of them, 2 adhd sons....so have had some stress management going on for quite a while.
    How can I decide if I am cut out for this kind of work? without making a huge mistake?

Hey guys i know that this discussion is far beyond my head because im just starting nursing school in August of this year and i would just like some good advice and encouraging words for when the load gets heavy....if it does...
    i am 23, im married and have a 1 year old son....give me all the necessary info that YOU GUYS think i will need. Thanks!!!

Smile Re: ER Discussions

hello everyone, I just found this website is cool
    I am a new grad LPN and RN, I like ER and I am tinking to get a job there. I have been told that is too stressfully for a new grad...any comments will be helpfull

hello everyone. I have been a cardiothoracic ICU nurse for the past two and a half years..I was fed up with the commute (50 miles one way) and the night shift..sick all the time etc.,, and felt the pace was not fast enough..I need action! I interviewed today for a job in an emergency room in a hospital close to my house on the day shift. This hospital er sees 88,000 patients a year..ver busy...i am excited as well as nervous as this is a whole new field of nursing for me..any advice from you er nurses at heart??

I am a nurse in a fairly busy 6-bed ER that sees 22,000 pts/yr. No traumas or big stuff, but a ton of cardiac and copd cases. I have been in the ER for a year and prior to the ER, I spent time on Med/Surg and Psych (adolescent, adult and geri). I completely disagree with letting new grad's work in specialized areas. If I hadn't put 50 NG tubes down before my first OD in the ER that was about to crash, I would have been a nervous wreck. I am currently in a situation where I am working with another great RN and we are training a new grad GN. He is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. He is a nice person and tries to do right, but he refuses to ask for help. I am afraid he is going to end up hurting someone. He about hung TPA the other day without consulting anyone...WHO does that? He has also tried to hang dopamine, diprivan, and insulin drips without asking a soul for help. We have told him and told him to ask, but he assures us he knows what he is doing and keeps on...He also gets WAY too excited when "real" emergencies present. LIke, to the point of screwing up royally...We are constantly having to look over him, thus making our job twice as hard. I have never been one to be hateful. I am generally the peacemaker, but what can I do to stop him from these behaviors?
    Please help....

Member Extraordinaire

Discuss this with your manager, if he is still on orientation, they may decide that ER isn't the right place for him. If you catch him trying to give meds without orders or making other big mistakes, document it by writing up incident reports. It's not the ones that ask a lot of questions that are the problem... It's the ones that refuse to ask for help or think they know it all that are truly dangerous (like this guy).

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    Discuss this with your manager, if he is still on orientation, they may decide that ER isn't the right place for him. If you catch him trying to give meds without orders or making other big mistakes, document it by writing up incident reports. It's not the ones that ask a lot of questions that are the problem... It's the ones that refuse to ask for help or think they know it all that are truly dangerous (like this guy).
    We have been so short staffed lately that our manager has actually worked several shifts with us. She knows how he is. I think she is giving hime time-and us time-to get him in line. Thanks for the advice.
    Casey Lynn, RN :o

I currently work in a community ED in the PEDS ED. It's really like a fast track or "urgent care" for peds. I came from PICU which I loved the work but hated the hours and lack of flexibility. I love the flexibility of the Ed and I have contemplated learning adults but probably not @ my currently hospital. The adult side @ my current ED has certain issues with the work environment that would place unnessesary stress on me. My first priority and heart lies with my 2 young children but I am completely bored @ my current job and I am ready to learn and feel challenged. We are all aware of the difficulties of nursing but those of you with families what is it about the ED that makes you love it and stay. I am in the process of deciding whether to try another ED or return to the PICU and just deal with the difficult hours.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234