Thread: New Grad

New Grad

I will graduate with my RN in May and take state boards in June. Would working help me pass boards or should I focus my time studying out of books?

Anonymous

Re: New Grad

Hi,,,Congrats on finishing...We need good nurses. IMHO working would help you pass the boards. I don't think you can ever get "too much" experience. Personally, I would lay off the books. I don't do well cramming. If you have access to a computer either at school or the program for the boards I would take the exam LOTS.

I was an LPN for 17 years before I finished RN school.. In my experience that helped "alot" hehehehee...

Good luck,,Remember the boards only tell the world that you have the ability to practice nursing..(Barely).. IMHO you have to know how to answer the questions not much else. Remember two of the answers are definately wrong. Never answer that you would call the MD.. This is a test of your nursing judgement..What nursey thing would you do.

Taking the test over and over again will help you figure out how the people who wrote the test think..Sorta like a computer program. If you have used several computer charting ways you don't necessarily know how to use the whole program but you know how the person who built it thinks so you can go forward without much instruction...

Hope this makes sense...Good luck,, You are smarter than you know..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Re: New Grad

Really depends on what kind of learner you are. I'm not especially a good test taker so I always have to study. But experience can't be beat! Maybe both since you don't take exams till May